If you have water damage in your home or building, you must treat it as a serious issue because excess water can spread and cause considerable damage. Excess water may come from rain, flooding, leaks in the plumbing, burst pipes, or overflows and the porous nature of most building materials allows it to spread quickly. Building materials weakened by water may sustain serious structural damage and the presence of water also increases the risk of mold growth. ServiceMaster DAK provides water damage restoration services to remove excess water and dry the affected areas in homes and businesses in Barrington, IL. Our IICRC certified technicians are properly equipped to extract water and moisture from the affected materials as well as restore the damage.
Water can spread so quickly within a home because building materials like drywall, wood, and flooring are porous and allow the water to continue to penetrate deeper. As these building materials absorb more water, they may swell up and become discolored or sustain more significant structural damage in their weakened state. Wet materials are also more vulnerable to mold growth which can accelerate the structural damage and add the risk of negative health effects like allergic reactions and respiratory infections.
At ServiceMaster DAK, our technicians are certified and equipped to remove excess water and thoroughly dry all affected materials. The following steps are included in our water damage restoration service:
- Evaluation and Assessment: We will fully evaluate your home with non-invasive moisture meters to uncover the extent of the damage. Broken parts that caused the excess water in your home are saved for your insurance company and we will also take pictures of the damage. The restoration plan will be formed based on this evaluation.
- Water Extraction: We use advanced water extraction equipment to remove water and excess moisture from your home or building. Our drying methods can effectively remove moisture from furnishings, structural elements, and other objects that have been affected. We can also remove carpet padding and baseboards to help the drying process.
- Installation of Drying Equipment: After the water extraction process, we set up air movers and dehumidifiers around the damaged areas to remove the moisture from the air. The air drying process helps prevent mold and it is done over a 2-3 day period.
- Monitoring of Drying Equipment: Each day of the drying process, our technicians will take moisture readings to check the progress and move the equipment around if necessary for more efficient drying.
What to Do After Water Damage
- Stop the source of the excess water or moisture if possible. You might have to turn off the main water supply if there is damage to your pipes or plumbing fixtures.
- Remove water by mopping or blot drying.
- Get drapes or curtains off the wet floor by putting the bottoms through a coat hanger and putting the hanger on the curtain rod.
- Remove non-permanent flooring and wet area rugs.
- Blot dry wet furniture and put aluminum foil under all furniture legs to prevent carpet staining.
- Put delicate objects like paintings and photos in a safe place.
- Document the damage to your home for your insurance company.
What NOT to Do After Water Damage
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner like a shop vac to remove water.
- Do not use electrical appliances if the floor is wet.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Do not remove carpeting or other permanent flooring types, this should be done by professionals.
You should not ignore any amount of water damage in your home or building because allowing it to spread will lead to expensive structural damage and mold growth. Make sure you call ServiceMaster DAK once you notice water damage in your home or business in Barrington, IL so our technicians can remove the water and restore the damage. You can reach us 24 hours a day at (847) 983-7400 for water damage emergencies.
For water damage restoration and flood cleanup in Barrington IL area call ServiceMaster DAK at 847-983-7400.
Lake Forest IL, Aug 13, 2014
Performed by Oscar
I do not have the words to express the gratitude I feel for the Service Master crew that helped us through the misery of a flooded basement. They were skilled, considerate, efficient and especially respectful of other people’s treasured belongings. I have no idea how they accomplished the massive task of moving every item in a massive space to remove soaked carpeting, protecting everything while the space dried with heaters they installed. They then put everything back in the right place after new carpets were in. Thank you, Oscar! You are one of those people who goes way above and beyond.
Your people are just wonderful! They were extremely conscientious, professional, and just a joy to be around. The office staff is just as amazing. Too bad all service providers are not this nice to deal with!!!
ServiceMaster DAK Flood and Water Damage covered areas: