ServiceMaster by Metzler
In any situation that you have experienced severe damage on you property, it is essential to call ServiceMaster by Metzler as soon as possible for emergency damage restoration services in the Elk Grove Village, IL area. But do keep in mind that there are simple steps that can be taken in order to significantly reduce your chances of dealing with a flood or fire in the future.
Preventing a Flood
- Examine each water bill. If at any time you notice an unexpected change in your water bill, make sure to inspect each pipe to make sure that it is not leaking. If there are only a few drops, it can still cause water damage and raise the costs. Make sure to have this problem fixed right away.
- Examine the gutters for blockages. Especially in the fall time, leaves may fall into the gutters that will create blockages for water. When this happens, water will spill out of the gutter and into your foundation which creates the potential for a basement flood. Make sure your gutters always allow water to flow away from your home or building.
- Plant vegetation away from underground pipes. You will want to be mindful of any pipes that are located underground as any additional pressure they take on may cause them to burst. When planting vegetation with large, strong roots, they have the potential to wrap around the pipes and cause them to burst.
- Frozen and burst pipe prevention. This is the #1 cause of water damage in the winter time, especially in the Midwest. As temperatures drop, the water in the exterior pipes will freeze. When this happens, the ice expands within the pipe and may cause it to burst if it is too strong. But this can be avoided by turning off the exterior water line and allowing warm air to circulate around the interior pipes.
- Do not pour grease down the sink. While this may seem obvious, it is easily forgotten by many property owners. But instead of pouring it down the sink, pour it into a can and let it sit overnight. Then it can be thrown away in the morning. This will prevent blockages and damages within the pipes.
- Use a drain snake instead of pipe cleaning chemicals. No matter how many times companies will advertise that their cleaning products will not harm the pipe, it is always difficult to remove all of the dirt and bacteria without causing damage.
While these steps will greatly reduce the chances of water damage or in-home flooding from occurring, it is impossible to prevent it altogether. That is why ServiceMaster by Metzler is always available to restore water damage while preventing it from spreading. We implement an advanced drying process in order to restore all building materials quickly and effectively.
If you have any questions regarding our services, you can also refer to our FAQ water damage cleanup page for general information about our services.
Preventing Fire Damage
- Examine all smoke alarms. A working fire alarm can save thousands of dollars in fire damage by letting you know right away when a fire has started. Make sure to inspect all units in every room within your home or building and ensure that they are in good working condition. The batteries should also be changed every six months.
- Never leave an open flame unattended. Whether you have a candle burning or are cooking in the kitchen, it is never safe to leave a burning flame unattended. Especially if you have young children or pets, they must be supervised at all times and be kept away from any open flame.
- Do not overload the circuits. While power strips can provide a lot of convenience, it is important to make sure that the total wattage does not exceed 1500 on the same circuit. This also includes extension cords and fuse boxes. Always make sure to supervise young children around outlets.
- Properly clean all heat-related appliances. Especially if you use the fireplace and chimney often, they should be cleaned at least once a year by a professional. If you also use a space heater, it should be thoroughly cleaned as well. This allows for a clear path for the heat to come out and not accumulate within the machine.
- Do not smoke in the house. Although many individuals did it 20 years ago, it is a dangerous fire hazard. Burning ashes can fall onto furniture and the carpet and start a flame. If you do need to smoke, do it outside or in the garage where nothing can catch on fire from a burning cigarette or cigar.
Neither water damage nor fires can be completely prevented, even if these simple steps are taken. Many property fires can even occur while the owner is away for an extended period of time. If this does happen, you must call ServiceMaster by Metzler immediately after the fire department to prevent the damage from spreading and begin the fire damage restoration process right away.
In the event that you have experienced a natural disaster and are dealing with severe water or fire damage, it is imperative to call ServiceMaster by Metzler immediately at (224)585-0580 in the Elk Grove Village, IL area.