ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford
Water damage is virtually inevitable in homes and buildings because there are so many ways it can happen. Environmental conditions like flooding and rain can result in water damage, as well as other issues like sewage backups, burst pipes, roof leaks, and leaking plumbing fixtures and appliances. Any situation involving water damage is urgent because the water will spread and cause structural damage, electrical hazards, and even mold growth. You should not hesitate to call a professional once you discover water damage on your property.
ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford provides effective water damage restoration services in Old Saybrook, CT and the surrounding areas in Middlesex county. Our experts will thoroughly assess the damage and form an effective restoration plan to remove the excess water and moisture and repair the resulting damage. We will be with you every step of the way to ensure that you are satisfied with the results.
The Effects of Water Damage
The reason water damage is dangerous is because the water and moisture can get absorbed in porous objects and materials such as wood, insulation, drywall, flooring, carpeting, and furniture. The longer you wait to address water damage, the more time the water will have to spread throughout the property and get absorbed deeper into the affected materials. As the structural elements and furnishings absorb more water, they may experience stains, warping, and eventually structural damage. The affected materials are also at risk for mold growth which will make the damage worse.
The situation is much more dangerous if the water contains sewage. This can happen if you experience a sewage backup on your property, or if natural flood water mixed with sewage enters your home. Sewage not only causes more extensive damage, but also puts your health at risk as it contains harmful toxins that can spread infection or disease. You should avoid any contact with water that may contain sewage.
Professional Water Damage Mitigation
Our technicians at ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford are prepared to deal with all levels of water damage, including standing flood water and sewage backups. We use extraction and drying equipment to remove the water and ensure that the affected areas and materials are thoroughly dried. If the water is contaminated with sewage, we will also thoroughly clean and sanitize the affected areas to make them safe for use.
What to Do When Experiencing Water Damage
- Call our professionals immediately to contain the damage and prevent mold or bacteria growth.
- Mop and blot dry to remove excess water.
- Remove non-permanent floor coverings like wet area rugs. Do not remove permanent flooring.
- Get your drapes off the floor by putting the bottom through a coat hanger and putting the hanger on the rod.
- Wipe water from your furniture and prop up the cushions so they can dry evenly. Putting aluminum foil under the furniture legs will prevent carpet staining.
- Put delicate objects like paintings and photos somewhere safe.
- Keep water damaged books on the shelves to prevent page warping. We can treat them with a specialized drying process.
- Open drawers, cabinets, and closet doors for better drying.
What Not to Do When Experiencing Water Damage
- Do not walk through standing water unless the electricity is shut off.
- Do not try to remove water with a standard vacuum cleaner.
- Do not try to remove permanent flooring or carpeting.
- Do not use electrical appliances when standing on a wet floor.
- Do not try to clean or remove mold growth.
Dealing with any level of water damage on your property can be frustrating. Our technicians at ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford will provide effective water damage restoration services as well as support and guidance to help you through a difficult situation. You can reach us 24 hours a day at (860) 265-8787 for emergency water damage restoration in Old Saybrook, CT and the surrounding areas of Middlesex county.