ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford
The most common type of property damage in homes and commercial buildings is water damage because there are a number of ways that this type of damage can occur. Weather conditions such as heavy rain and flooding are common causes of water damage, and it can also be caused by problems within the home or building including leaks, plumbing issues, burst pipes and sewage backups. You should never hesitate to address any amount of water damage because water can get absorbed in various materials and spread throughout your property, resulting in structural damage, mold growth, and electrical issues.
At ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford, we provide complete water damage restoration services in Essex, CT to deal with all levels of water damage in homes and commercial buildings. Our technicians will evaluate the extent of the damage, including how deep the water has been absorbed, and remove it using advanced water extraction and drying equipment. We understand how stressful dealing with water damage can be and we will be with you every step of the process to ensure that the problem is resolved.
Damage from Excess Water
Any amount of water, from a leak to standing flood water, can be a problem because it will penetrate absorbent building materials and furnishings. Common building materials like flooring, wood, and drywall are absorbent and excess water can also soak carpeting and furniture. As more water gets absorbed into these materials, they may experience staining or discoloration, warping, and structural damage. The risk of mold growth also increases as the affected materials take on more water.
In some cases involving water damage, it is possible that the water could be contaminated with sewage. Sewage generally appears within a property if there is a sewage backup, or if there is flooding mixed with sewage water. When building materials absorb water mixed with sewage, they also absorb the waste materials in the sewage which can permanently damage the affected materials. The presence of sewage water can also negatively affect your health as the water contains waste materials with dangerous toxins. If you suspect that the water on your property contains sewage, stay away from it and call our professionals right away.
Want To Learn More About Water Damage? Watch This Video
Don’t Wait. Call Us Today At (860) 265 8787 To Go From Disaster To Done
Water Damage Restoration from Our Professionals
At ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford, we are ready to restore water damage of any scale, including serious flooding and water contaminated with sewage. We can remove standing water with our water extraction equipment, and we can even extract moisture from wet materials with our drying and dehumidification equipment. In cases involving sewage or contaminated water, we will restore, clean, and sanitize the affected areas to reduce the risks to your health.
How to React to Water Damage
- Call ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford right away to respond to the damage.
- Remove water by mopping or blot drying
- Remove area rugs and other non-permanent floor coverings. Leave permanent flooring intact.
- Put the bottoms of your drapes through a coat hanger and put the hanger on the rod to keep the drapes off the floor.
- Wipe down your furniture to remove excess water and prop the cushions up for even drying. Put aluminum foil under all furniture legs to protect the carpeting.
- Put paintings, photos, and other similar objects in a safe, dry place.
- Water damaged books should be kept packed tightly together on their shelves. This will help prevent page warping until they can be treated with our specialized drying process.
- Open all doors, drawers, and cabinets within the home to help with the drying process.
What Not to Do After Water Damage
- Do walk in standing water unless the power is off.
- Do not use a vacuum cleaner to remove water.
- Do not remove carpeting or permanent flooring without professional assistance.
- Do not use electrical appliances if the floor is wet.
- Do not clean mold or mildew growth.
If your property is affected by water damage, it is best to call our professionals right away to deal with the damage effectively. We will not only remove the water and help repair the damage, but also provide you with the support you need to get your property back in order. You can call ServiceMaster of Old Saybrook, Middletown, and Guilford 24 hours a day at (860) 265-8787 to respond to water damage emergencies in Essex, CT.