Unlike floods or mold, fires move quickly and spread damage across a wide area until they’re contained, which is why they’re so dangerous. Never try to stop a fire by yourself; get everyone out of the building and call 911 from somewhere nearby. You may feel a sense of relief once the flames are out, but that only means the physical danger is over. The building and its contents are still under attack from secondary destructive elements like water, soot, and smoke. Even the chemicals used to stop the fire cause damage unless remediation begins quickly. ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc. offers full service fire damage restoration to homes and businesses in Dover, NH and surrounding areas that have experienced fires large or small.
Our professionals have received extensive training in the most effective methods in fire damage restoration. The products and equipment we use are the best in the industry, guaranteeing that we can thoroughly clean and restore fire-damaged items safely and gently. Time is of the essence after a disaster, so call ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc. as soon as you get the “all clear” from the fire department. The longer smoke, toxic fumes, and water stay in your home or business and on the contents, the less chance there is to save them.
ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc.’s Fire Damage Restoration Services include:
- Emergency pre-cleaning for items that are heavily damaged;
- Odor removal;
- Wall and ceiling cleaning;
- Content cleaning and pack-out services.
What To Do After A Fire
After the first responders have left and the area is secure, call a professional restoration company like ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc. While you’re waiting for our experts to arrive, there are a few things you can do to start the recovery process.
- Throw away everything in the refrigerator. The power was turned off at some point and there’s no sense taking a chance that the food has been contaminated or has spoiled.
- Discard any open food packages in the cupboards, even if the doors were closed. Soot and smoke can drift far from the scene of the fire and get into closed-off places. Sealed containers should be fine, as long as they don’t have damage.
- Tape a couple layers of damp cheesecloth over the return and supply registers for your HVAC system and change the filters. This ensures that soot particles aren’t circulated through the building.
- Wipe down Formica, chrome, aluminum, and porcelain fixtures to prevent etching and tarnishing.
- If the outside temperature is over 60 degrees, open doors and windows to let out smoke and let in fresh air.
What Not To Do After A Fire
- Don’t use ceiling fixtures or fans if the ceiling is wet. Have them checked by an electrician to avoid the chance of a short and another fire.
- Don’t touch upholstery, walls, or woodwork with your bare hands. The oils from your hands can cause irreparable damage in their fragile condition.
- Don’t try to clean or restore any items by yourself. Commercially available cleaners aren’t strong enough and most people haven’t had restoration training. Trying to clean something the wrong way could make it worse.
- Don’t use electrical appliances until an electrician has inspected them. They may have been damaged by the fire or by water.
- Don’t try to clean carpets or upholstery by yourself. The equipment you can buy or rent isn’t strong enough, and the products at the store can’t handle this type of cleaning.
Toxins and byproducts from fires will continue to damage your home or business and its contents until restoration begins. ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc. provides comprehensive fire damage restoration to homes and businesses in Dover, NH and surrounding areas that have experienced the devastating effects of fires. We’ll work together with your insurance adjustor to get you through this process as quickly as possible.
Call ServiceMaster by Disaster Associates, Inc. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at (603) 967-4744 for reliable fire damage restoration.