Ask Restoration Master
If you have any questions, ask Restoration Master for advice.
I’m looking for a price point on resurfacing a wood floor for a basketball court at a recreation center or a middle school ? What would the cost range typically be?7. June 2018
When it comes to treating a wood gym floor, you have a couple of options. You can have the gym floor recoated, or fully sanded and refinished for a resurfacing. A gym floor recoating is usually done once per year and costs about $0.75 per square foot for two coats of new finish. A full sanding and refinishing of the gym floor typically costs about $3.00 per square foot. The labor, materials, artwork, and game line painting are included in this price.
These prices are the average prices for each service and the overall cost will still depend on the following factors:
- Total size of the gym (square footage)
- The current condition of the floor and finish
- What specific repair services if any are needed
- The products and materials used for the sanding and finishing
- The amount of painting needed for logos and game lines
It is important to find a reputable professional to provide quality recoating or resurfacing services for the gym floor. Check out each company’s credentials and ask for references to view their previous work. You should also take measurements of the gym floor and note the floor’s condition to get a better idea of what you can expect for an overall price.
How do I find a reliable company to clean up after a sewage flooded basement?8. May 2018
If you have experienced any flooding in your home that contains sewage, you need the help of a professional water damage restoration service provider immediately. Your home is vulnerable to significant damage from contaminated water, and your health is also at risk because of the dangerous toxins and bacteria present in sewage water.
It is very important that you and everyone in your household avoids all contact with the contaminated water. You need to immediately begin looking for a reputable water damage restoration service provider because the damage will only get worse until it can be addressed. When looking for a professional to clean up the sewage, follow these tips to ensure that they are a trustworthy service provider:
- Make sure they are licensed and insured: There may be some water damage restoration companies out there who have the equipment, but don’t have the certification or insurance to back up their work. A reputable restoration company will not only be insured, but also certified through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). A company that is IICRC certified will use the proper equipment and techniques to effectively remove sewage water as well as clean and disinfect your home.
- Get referrals: It helps to get some referrals for a company before you decide to hire them to ensure that they provide quality services. The best referrals are through word of mouth, but in a situation such as this there may not be time to go around asking for word of mouth referrals. You can look at review websites such as Yelp, Google My Business listings, and Facebook to read online reviews of the company.
- Make sure they respond quickly: As mentioned above, the damage from flooding that contains sewage will continue to get worse until the restoration begins. When you are looking for a restoration company, make sure they respond quickly to emergencies. Any delay in their response allows the damage to get worse which can end up costing you more in the restoration. A reputable restoration company will arrive immediately and offer 24-hour emergency services to react at all hours of the day.
- Get all costs itemized up front: Before beginning the work, a reputable restoration company will do an inspection of your property and create a thorough restoration plan that includes each step of the process, methods used, and a timetable for completion. They should also be able to give you an estimate of the costs up front before you decide to do business with them. It is important to know the complete costs of the services before agreeing to let the restoration company proceed.
- Ask about insurance: A reputable restoration service provider should be willing to work with your insurance company to cover the cost. Be sure to ask the company how they deal with insurance. If they help file the claim with your insurance company, it will make this aspect of the scenario so much easier.
These are the basics of what makes up a reputable water damage restoration company. However, you must remember that you need to hire a professional as soon as possible to limit the damage to your home.
I feel like we have a mold issue. In the winter the physical symptoms seem to subside. In warmer weather once we start to use the central air conditioning system we begin take on a “confused” feeling, unable to focus, concentrate, head aches, and always clearing our throat. Is it possible for mold to go dormant in the winter months.7. May 2018
The short answer to this question is yes, mold can go dormant during the winter. Mold spores require warmth, moisture, and a food source to thrive and they have been known to remain dormant until they encounter the right conditions.
This situation seems very concerning. The first thing you should determine is if you and your family experience these symptoms in warmer weather, but without using the air conditioner. If not, it is possible that the mold is confined to your air conditioning system. If you do experience these symptoms without running your air conditioner, then you could have mold in other areas of your home as well. Either way, you should start by having a professional come to your home to do an inspection for mold. This professional will be able to locate mold growth in your home and provide suggestions for resolving the issue.
If the mold is only in your air conditioning system, then you will need to hire a mold remediation contractor that can effectively remove the mold from the central air system. It is possible for mold to grow within the air conditioning system due to condensation and other factors. If the mold is found to be in the air conditioning system and elsewhere in your home, then the mold remediation job will be more intensive, time consuming, and costly. Taking action immediately will prevent the situation, and your health, from getting any worse.
I was out of the country when a sprinkler burst in my condo. Fortunately neighbors caught it and got a restoration company out. Unfortunately they threw away a lot of things that were damaged. (Furniture, electronics, clothes etc.) The insurance co is paying the claim but not the personal property as there is no proof of loss. What is the best way to handle this, or am Ijust out of luck?from Gary deurance 7. May 2018
This is a very unfortunate scenario. Typically when disasters such as this occur, homeowners are on the scene in the aftermath and can hang on to damaged items or at least document the damage by taking photos. Insurance providers are businesses looking to make a profit which is why they require proof of your losses before giving payouts.
One way you can try to recoup the losses of your personal property in this case is to look for any proof that you owned these items. Look for photos you may have of the objects and receipts to prove you have purchased the items. You can also try reaching out to the restoration company to get a statement from the technicians who worked on your property about what they threw away.
While insurance companies prefer to have a comprehensive list of every lost item before considering a payout, there are some extenuating circumstances in which you may be able to negotiate. Before taking this approach, review your policy to see if there is anything you can use to your advantage in this situation. You should also take note of the coverage limit of your policy so you can negotiate within the limit. Present your case to the insurance company in writing and if you are denied by the insurance adjuster, try speaking to one of their superiors. You can try to negotiate a payout by offering to take a certain percentage of the limit and calling it even.
There is a possibility you can get something with one of these approaches, but that is not guaranteed. It is worth exploring these approaches to recoup something for your losses. This situation shows how important it is to make a documented inventory of your valuable belongings before a disaster strikes so that you can get a payout for your lost content.
What type of products are used in the restoration of a damaged home?Are they products we can purchase on our own such as paints for interior and exterior?6. March 2018
The products that are needed for a disaster restoration project will depend largely on the extent of the damage and the materials that were damaged. Disasters like floods, fires, and mold can cause deep and widespread damage that will not only affect your furnishings, flooring, and drywall, but also the subflooring materials, insulation, and wood beams behind them. Therefore, a disaster restoration project may require materials that can range from drywall, wood 2x4s, flooring, subflooring, and insulation to paint and specific parts that have been damaged.
For many of these materials, it may be best to let the restoration professional get them for the job. These experienced professionals will know exactly what they need to get the job done and will make sure to get the right amount of the right materials. Restoration service providers will also consult with you during the restoration, so you can discuss your preference of certain materials with them. You must also consider your insurance coverage if you want to buy some of the materials on your own. If you are having the restoration work covered through your homeowner’s insurance, the cost of materials for the restoration company will be included. You have to talk to your insurance provider to see if any materials you buy yourself for the restoration will be covered by your insurance policy.