In Buffalo, NY, winter means harsh snow and severe cold. The low temperatures present a threat to the pipes in your property as they can cause the water to freeze up within the pipe. When water inside pipes freezes, the ice expands and places pressure on the pipe. With enough expansion and pressure, the ice forces the pipe to burst and the excess water that spills out can damage your property.
In Buffalo, NY, Renewit Cleaning & Restoration can help properties affected by water damage from frozen pipes with our frozen pipe damage restoration services. We will remove the water from your property and then dry it out using advanced water extraction and drying equipment. After the water is removed, we will restore the damaged areas.
Frozen Pipes in New York
Winters are harsh in the Buffalo area, so you need to be alert of the potential for frozen pipes that can burst and cause water damage to your property.
If a pipe in your property does burst, act right away by turning the water supply off. Next, contact us to restore the damage caused by the water from the burst pipe. With our specialized equipment, we will remove moisture from damaged materials as well as standing water from the property. Then, we restore affected areas and make sure no mold growth has occurred. The quicker you act, the lesser chance there is for any damage to worsen.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
Although you cannot stop freezing temperatures from coming, you can stop pipes from freezing. Use the following tips to prevent frozen pipes:
- Open faucets and let out a slow drip so the pipes have constant water movement.
- Open cabinet doors for pipes beneath sinks so that they can be heated.
- Insulate the pipes in vulnerable areas so that they don’t freeze.
- Use a space heater where there are uninsulated pipes but be safe when using it.
- Turn off the outside water supply and bring garden hoses inside during the winter.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
If you see frost or ice on the pipes or experience low water pressure, then you may have frozen pipes. Use the following tips to locate and thaw frozen pipes:
- Locate the line with the frozen pipe.
- Find the frozen spot by tracing the pipe line.
- Keep an eye out for frost, bulges, or ice.
- Use a heat lamp or hair dryer on the pipe to thaw it out, but always refrain from using a blowtorch or any flame on the pipe.
- Remove the drywall if it’s in the way of the frozen pipe.
- Allow a trickle by turning the faucet at the end of the pipe line.
Burst pipes can cause serious damage, which is why it’s important to prevent pipes from freezing up. In the event that a burst pipe has occurred on your property, turn off the water supply and get in touch with us. Call Renewit Cleaning & Restoration at (585) 643-6222 for our frozen pipe damage restoration services in the Buffalo, NY, area.