Winters in Greece, NY and the neighboring areas are known to have severely cold temperatures. With these temperatures, there’s a chance for frozen pipes. Water in your pipes will solidify when the temperature drops, expanding as it turns into ice. The growing ice places pressure on the pipes from within and can cause them to burst open, spreading water throughout your property and causing damage.
With frozen pipe damage restoration services from Renewit Cleaning & Restoration in Greece, NY, our technicians will extract the water and dry and restore the affected areas that have been damaged.
Frozen Pipes in New York
The Greece, NY area experiences winters that are harsh, so you need to be wary of any frozen pipes, as they may burst and cause water damage to your property.
In the event that a pipe does burst on your property, act promptly. Shut off the water supply, and then get in touch with us for our frozen pipe damage restoration services. We use advanced equipment to extract standing water and moisture from damaged materials, including furnishings, wood, and drywall. Next, we check to make sure no mold has grown and restore affected areas. To limit the amount of damage that occurs, it’s important to act quickly.
Preventing Frozen Pipes
If you prevent pipes from freezing up, then you can prevent them from bursting open. That said, use these tips to prevent frozen pipes:
- Have the faucets turned on to a drip for constant water movement.
- Have cabinets beneath sinks left open so that the pipes can be heated.
- Have pipes located in vulnerable areas insulated with pipe insulation or electrical tape so that the pipes don’t freeze.
- Have a space heater placed in areas where pipes are uninsulated so they can be heated. Make sure to use it safely.
- Have the outside water supply turned off and garden hoses brought inside in the winter months.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Signs that you may have frozen pipes include visible ice or frost on the pipes or low water pressure. Use these tips to help find and thaw frozen pipes:
- Find the line with the frozen pipe.
- Run along the pipe line to locate the frozen spot.
- Look for bulges, frost, or ice.
- Thaw the pipe with a heat lamp or hair dryer. Never thaw the pipe with a flame of any sort.
- If the frozen pipe cannot be accessed because it is behind a wall, remove the drywall.
- Go to the end of the pipe line and turn on the faucet to allow a trickle.
When a pipe has burst, it can cause severe damage that requires expensive repairs and restoration. That is why you need to do what you can to prevent frozen pipes. If a pipe has burst on your property, the first thing you need to do is shut off the water supply. Then call (585) 643-6222 for Renewit Cleaning & Restoration‘s frozen pipe damage restoration services in Greece, NY, and the neighboring areas.