A lot has been learned about hoarding disorder in the last several years and much of what we now know has been applied to cleaning and counseling services to better help those affected. Hoarding behaviors often result in dangerous living conditions that can threaten the health and safety of the affected individual and it is important to help those affected understand the implications of their behaviors so that they get help.
Nevada Water & Fire Restoration provides hoarding cleaning services to help those in Reno, NV who struggle with hoarding issues clean out their homes. We will remove all unwanted items and help clean and restore the home for much safer living conditions.
Struggles with Hoarding Disorders
Hoarding behaviors often involve the extreme collection of any objects along with an inability to throw away anything away which leads to a growing collection of items that can increase fire risks, restrict access within the home, and harbor mold or bacteria growth which can have serious health implications.
Those that struggle with hoarding are usually too embarrassed to let anyone see their home so a close friend or family member has to help convince the individual that hoarding is nothing to be embarrassed about and that they need help to restore their home to a safe living condition. Our technicians have the experience and certification to restore the homes of hoarders by removing hoarded items and cleaning and sanitizing the home.
The hoarding cleaning services we provide include the following:
- Salvaging jewelry, money, and other valuables
- Throwing away unwanted items
- Determining what should be thrown away and what can be recycled
- Donating certain items
- Giving kept items to family members or friends
- Assisting with paperwork from attorneys, trusts, and government agencies
Nevada Water & Fire Restoration has adopted this approach to hoarding cleaning which consists of the following 3 phases:
Phase 1: Establishing a Personal Connection
- We try to assess the problem the best we can without entering the home.
- We work with the individual to establish a feeling of mutual trust and respect.
- With the help of the individual, we create a cleaning plan and if additional help is needed from a counseling professional, we provide that help at this stage.
Phase 2: Creating and Implementing a Cleaning Plan
- We create a cleaning plan with the individual to remove unnecessary items.
- We will reorganize the home after the hoarded items are removed.
- We will help the individual and their family decide what should be thrown away, recycled, donated, or kept while making sure the individual has ultimate say.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- Nevada Water & Fire Restoration forms a cleaning plan for the individual to follow after the hoarding cleaning is complete.
- We do short term follow ups to see if the individual is following the cleaning plan and we will provide additional cleaning services if needed.
- We keep the individual in control of the process.
The Need for Cleaning
Hoarding behaviors can lead to very dangerous and unsanitary living conditions and the technicians of Nevada Water & Fire Restoration have the training and cleaning equipment to restore the homes of hoarders no matter how severe the conditions.
We are available at (775) 546-2036 to provide a free estimate for our hoarding cleaning services in the Reno, NV area.