ServiceMaster by Mason
Water Damage Prevention
Fire Damage Related Info
Experiencing a major water loss can be shocking and extremely stressful. Water damage is also known as the most common natural disaster as it can be derived from numerous factors. However, what many individuals do not realize is that the majority of cases can be prevent. Simply follow these water damage prevention tips to see how you can save yourself from a huge headache in the future:
- Inspect and monitor your gutters throughout the autumn months. Be sure to keep them clean from leaves and other debris.
- Inspect all appliances handling water within the property. This includes: the hot water tanks, dishwashers, freezers, refrigerators, and washing machine hoses.
- Protect against frozen pipes during the winter months by properly insulating exterior pipes. If you are away on a trip or vacation, always shut off the water. Allow for warm air circulation to interior pipes during extremely low temperatures.
- Do not pour grease down your sink. This may seem like a no-brainer; however, it happens everyday. Instead of having it harden within and damage your pipes, pour it in a can and let it harden overnight. You can then throw it away in the morning.
- Be mindful of where you plant your vegetation. As certain trees, shrubs, and bushes have the ability to grow long, large roots, they can wrap around the underground pipe. The more pressure applied, the greater the chance it will burst and cause a major water leak.
- Keep a close watch on your water bill. If there is an unexpected, significant increase, be sure to check all appliances and pipes to ensure that there is no leak.
Although the majority of water damage cases can be prevented, sometimes water-related appliances and other factors are overlooked. ServiceMaster by Mason fully understands that accidents happen, which is why we are always prepared 24/7 to provide water damage restoration services. Contact us right away if you have experienced a major water loss in the towns of Westerly, Warwick, Waterford, CT or a surrounding community at (401)622-4156.
Fire Damage Prevention
Although not known as the most common type of natural disaster, fire and smoke damage can be even more destructive than water damage. It has the potential to start small and grow quickly, causing permanent damage if not restored right away. However, there are also measures you can take in order to effectively prevent fire damage from occurring on your property. Be sure to keep the following in mind:
- Be sure that all smoke alarms are on and working properly. Include one in each room. Also, store fire extinguishers within reach, either in a closet or kitchen cabinet.
- Schedule regular cleanings for the following: furnaces, chimneys, fire places, and heating systems.
- Avoid overloading the circuit breaker. Check the fuse boxes, circuits, and extension cords to make sure that the usage does not exceed 1500 watts on the same circuit.
- Always supervise young children and pets around a burning stove or candle. Accidents can always happen.
- When using the fire place, always place a mesh metal fence in front of the fire. Flying debris, such as burning coal, wood, or sparks can land on the carpet and cause a fire.
Although many cases of fire damage can be prevented, too much damage has spread before it has been noticed. ServiceMaster by Mason understands this completely, which is why we are also available for emergency fire damage restoration services when you need them most.
If you live in the Westerly, Warwick, RI or Waterford, CT area, call (401) 622-4156 for emergency services. If you have questions regarding our services, you can check out our FAQ for fire damage restoration.