There are millions of Americans who are affected by the mental disorder known as hoarding. Those who struggle with hoarding have issues with anxiety and depression that manifest as the behaviors most commonly associated with hoarding, such as an ability to throw anything away. The clutter that results creates dangerous and unsanitary conditions in the home that threaten the health and safety of those within. Cleaning the home of a hoarder is important to restore safe living conditions, but this should only be done if the affected individual agrees to follow through with the cleaning.
RestorationMaster provides hoarding cleaning services in Lakewood, NJ to help restore homes affected by hoarding. We will work directly with the affected individual to put together a cleaning plan and we will only remove items from the home with their approval. We understand the sensitive nature of the situation and we will make sure to treat the affected individual with respect throughout the process.
The Dangers of Hoarding
Hoarding starts with feelings of anxiety and depression that make it difficult for those affected to part with any objects that come into their home. This causes clutter to build up and over time, the amount of clutter created can be dangerous.
You should never start cleaning the home of a hoarder or force them to clean their home. Remember, hoarding is a mental disorder and a sensitive situation. First, reach out to the affected individual and talk to them about how the condition of their home is detrimental to their safety. Only when the individual agrees to clean out their home should you proceed.
The following are the biggest dangers of hoarding:
- Blocked escape routes: Excessive clutter can block pathways and exits which can be very dangerous in case of an emergency like a fire.
- Fire hazard: The risk of a fire is much higher with built up clutter that could ignite and fuel a fire.
- Tipping hazard: Piles of clutter tend to be unstable and can fall over at any time and cause injuries.
- Mold and bacteria: Mold, bacteria, and other dangerous substances may form within the clutter and create unsanitary conditions that can affect the health of those in the home.
Professional Hoarding Cleaning
Our technicians at RestorationMaster understand the sensitive nature of the situation which is why we take a delicate approach. We involve the affected individual in every aspect of the cleaning process from the planning to the execution and they get the final say before anything is removed from the home.
You can expect the following from our hoarding cleaning services:
- Establish trust with the individual: We meet with the affected individual before beginning any cleaning to establish a level of trust. Once they are ready, we’ll start with the planning and the cleaning.
- Create cleaning plan: We will help create a plan to remove unwanted clutter, giving the affected individual the final decision on what to remove. After the clutter has been cleared, we will restore safe conditions by cleaning and sanitizing the home.
- Follow up: After the cleaning, we will follow up to make sure the individual is keeping their home clean. We can return to the home if additional help is needed.
If you know someone affected by hoarding, reach out to them to help them understand the seriousness of the situation. When they are ready to clean their home, you can call our professionals to help with the cleaning.
You can reach RestorationMaster at (732) 338-0713 for hoarding cleaning in Lakewood, NJ.
Related hoarding cleanup services:
Hoarding Cleanup – Manalapan, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Long Branch, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Matawan, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Cranford, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Union, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Elizabeth, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Springfield Township, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Manchester, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Neptune, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Tinton Falls, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Marlboro, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Jackson Township, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Freehold, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Wall Township, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Lakewood, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Red Bank, NJ
Hoarding Cleanup – Holmdel, NJ