If you have experienced severe damage on your property, do not hesitate to call RestorationMaster right away for emergency disaster restoration services in the Staten Island, Brooklyn, and New York, NY areas. However, by taking these steps, you can save thousands of dollars in damages costs in the future.
Water Damage Prevention
- Plant plants away from the water line. While trees start out small, their roots can grow long and large to wrap around the underground water pipes. All of this added pressure over time can cause the pipe to break and flood your foundation. To avoid this, work with you landscaper or plan to plant them away from the underground water line.
- Avoid pouring grease down the sink. This can easily seem like a no-brainer; however, it is still quite common. Any grease that is poured down any drain will create blockages on the inside of the pipe. It can even cause it to become damaged on the inside.
- Inspect the gutters annually for blockages. Especially during the fall time, it is very important to make sure that the water flows directly away from the foundation. Any leaves and other debris will create blockages and cause the water to spill over the gutter walls and into the foundation, eventually flooding your basement.
- Monitor the water bill. Because the pipes are hidden, it is easy to miss a leak in the pipes. However, one way to find a leak or broken pipe is to monitor the water bill for any unexpected changes. If so, check all of the piping on the property to ensure there is no water damage within the building structure.
- Prevent frozen and burst pipes. New York is no stranger to cold temperatures. But you must be aware that the water in pipes can freeze if they are not insulated properly. To prevent this, place insulation over the pipe, turn off the exterior water line, and open the cabinets to allow warm air to circulate around the pipe. You can also visit our frozen pipes and sprinkler heads page for more information.
- Use a drain snake to unclog drains. Although companies may advertise that their products are gentle on pipes, any chemicals to remove the blockages will damage the interior of the pipe. Instead, use a drain snake to remove all gunk that has accumulated within the pipe. You can also use a wire hanger if the blockages are closer to the drain.
Although this guide will help you significantly reduce your chances of water damage, it can never be avoided completely. This is why RestorationMaster is available 24/7 to provide emergency flood cleanup services. In order to limit the damage, call us right away to start the drying process.
You can also refer to our water damage FAQ page if you have any general questions regarding our services.
Fire Damage Prevention
- Never leave an open flame unattended. Especially if you live with young children and pets, this is never a concept to be taken lightly. Burning candles and stove tops are the leading cause of property fires in the U.S. Just be sure to put out the flame if you have to leave the room.
- Inspect all smoke alarms. This will always be your first alert to a property fire. Keep in mind that all batteries need to be replaced every six months. In addition, you can also store a fire extinguisher in the kitchen or closet. Make sure everyone on the property knows where it is located.
- Never smoke in the house. If you do smoke, it is best to do it in the garage or outside. Any burning ashes can easily start a fire when landing on the carpet or rug. If you drop a lit cigarette or cigar, it can also permanently damage the flooring within your home or building.
- Clean all heat-related appliances. It is always best to have the fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned at least once a year. You can also clean your space heater yourself. This will ensure that there are no blockages or anything that can catch on fire while the appliances are being used.
- Do not overload the circuits. It is essential to keep each circuit, fuse box, and extension cord under 1500 watts. Try not to plug in too many electronics at once. Always supervise young children around outlets.
Similar to water damage, property fires cannot always be prevented. If you have experienced a natural disaster caused by a fire in your home or building do not hesitate to contact RestorationMaster for emergency fire and smoke damage restoration services. Our technicians use advanced products to create complex chemical reactions that will remove all smoke and soot residue within the affected materials.
If you have experienced a natural disaster as a result of a flood or fire, call RestorationMaster for emergency restoration services at (888) 915-7197 in Staten Island, Brooklyn, New York, NY and Franklin Township and Monroe Township, NJ.