Dryco Restoration Services
When people think of Minnesota, “frozen pipes” is often an associated thought. Residents of Duluth, MN must be aware of the dangers of frozen pipes and sprinklers. Essentially, when the water within the pipes expands as it freezes, the pipe is at risk of bursting, which can result in significant water damage to your property.
At Dryco Restoration Services, we dry and restore affected these areas with frozen pipes water damage restoration services in Duluth, MN.
Frozen Pipes and Sprinklers
In Duluth, MN, both home and business owners are at risk of frozen pipes. This is especially true in the winter months when cold fronts sweep in. Problems tend to arise because many pipes are housed behind uninsulated or poorly insulated walls (such as those in basements and attics). When these unprotected pipes are exposed to temperatures below the freezing point, the water within them can freeze and expand, leading to a burst. This can then result in hundreds of gallons of water flooding your home or office space.
If the above occurs on your property, it is imperative that you shut off your water immediately, and contact our Dryco Restoration Services representatives. Our frozen pipes water damage cleanup technicians will arrive quickly to remove excess water and moisture, and restore affected areas.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Ideally, you will never need to contact our representatives in the first place. Following these tips can help you avoid frozen pipes:
- Allow water to continually drip from your faucet to keep the water moving in your pipes
- Open cabinets below sinks to allow more heat near the pipes
- Utilize electrical tape or pipe insulation if any of your pipes are exposed to cold air
- Place space heaters in traditionally cold areas that contain pipes (such as basements, attics, crawl spaces, etc.)
- Turn off your outside water supply during cold months, and bring in your watering hose
Finding and Thawing Frozen Pipes
If you notice decreased water pressure coming from your faucet, your pipes may be freezing. If this occurs, you should attempt to locate the freezing pipe and thaw it out. You can do this by:
- Identifying the supply line to the affected faucet
- Follow the pipe from the faucet to where it passes through poorly insulated areas
- Look for frost or ice on the affected pipe (bulges and fissures are signs of a broken pipe)
- Turn up your heat, or use an infrared lamp against the wall to warm up the freezing pipe
- If necessary, remove drywall in front of the pipe, and utilize a heat lamp or hair dryer to thaw the pipe (running water from the appropriate faucet as you do this can help)
Frozen and burst pipes can cause a tremendous amount of water damage if you are not careful. If this occurs in your home or business office, we encourage you to contact our Dryco Restoration Services representatives at (218) 461-4434. We are available 24 hours a day to respond to frozen pipes, water damage emergencies, and assist property owners in Duluth, MN, who suffer from the effects of frozen pipes and sprinklers.