8 Things to Prepare for a Winter Storm in Cherry Hill, NJ
New Jersey has always experienced heavy storms. Much of the state is affected by heavy rain, thunderstorms, wind, tornadoes, and flooding. There is always a risk for New Jersey residents’ homes to be damaged when a storm occurs. It is crucial to be sure that you are ready for upcoming storms in Cherry Hill, NJ.
Here are some tips and suggestions to get ready for winter storm damage:
- You should inspect your home inside and outside. If you see something that may cause a problem during a storm, take note, and make sure to fix it before the storm. For example, you can check the loose siding or shingles that may blow away. Additionally, you should store and cover exposed toys or appliances to protect them against intense winds and rain. Do not forget to examine the walls, windows, roof, and foundation.
- You should look for overhanging tree limbs or older limbs that can break off during a storm. Moreover, if bushes and shrubs are overgrown, you may want to trim them before a storm, just to make sure they are not going to cause a fundamental problem.
- Even if there are small cracks in windows, you need to fix them to prevent moisture damage. And, if you have a drafty door, you can insulate it with weatherstripping and seal it.
- You need to consider the possibility of a power outage. If the power goes out, you may lose your main heating source. Look for an alternative power source like a generator or a wood stove.
- You should make a supply list and stock up. Because of the storm, you may not leave your home and stores may be closed. Therefore, it is best to have emergency supplies like drinking water, canned food, first aid kids, toiletries, and a flashlight.
- It is very crucial to insulate pipes that are in an exposed area. During the storm, there is a possibility that frozen pipes can burst and can cause water damage.
- Windows are vulnerable to damage from a storm because of wind and flying debris. You can benefit from storm shutters or plastic coverings over your windows.
- You should check your insurance documents and make sure that you can easily access them. It is important to understand what your insurance will cover because your home may experience serious storm damage that requires repair. Therefore, you can file a claim as soon as possible.
Contact local experts for Storm Damage Restoration in Cherry Hill, NJ, and Surrounding Areas.
Cherry Hill, NJ is familiar with heavy rains, snow, and storms. If your house or building has storm damage that needs professional restoration, do not wait to call experts.