The Drying Techniques of Water Damage Restoration Professionals
As soon as water or flood damage has occurred on any property, water damage restoration professionals must be called immediately to prevent the damage from spreading further and restore the affected materials to their original conditions. Years ago, these professionals were limited in resources when it came to the restoration process; the technology involved in the equipment was limited in variety, efficiency, availability, and effectiveness. The term “restoration” was simply not as effective as it is today as many property owners were forced to throw away their damaged building materials and content.
After removing the affected materials, replacements had to be installed, like drywall, insulation, and flooring. The solution was more expensive due to the replacement of all of these materials as well as the disruption to the homeowner’s schedule and insurance companies reviewing the additional expenses. But today, innovative technology has allowed water damage restoration professionals to be significantly more efficient, effective, and less expensive, allowing home and business owners get back to their routines.
The latest drying equipment includes all of the following:
- Desiccants: In specific conditions, desiccant dehumidifiers are used by many water damage restoration professionals. This equipment will release dry, warm air (110 degrees F and 5% relative humidity) in high humidity conditions to eliminate the moisture from the air; this is done using silica gel to absorb the water particles in the air. Desiccant dehumidifiers are very effective and even operate in temperatures set below freezing.
- Intra-Wall Drying: This technique is great for drying the insides of walls, without removing the drywall itself. To allow for efficient drying, the baseboards are first removed, and small holes are drilled through the drywall at the base. Air is then pushed into the cavity behind the wall, allowing for a faster drying time, sometimes even half that of other drying techniques. This process is also effective for various types of insulation, eliminating the need to remove the drywall. Finally, if the source of the water damage is contained above the affected room, it’s effective in drying out the walls.
- LGR Dehumidifiers: Technicians can lower relative humidity to as low as 10% with LGR dehumidifiers. This equipment allows for up to 16 gallons of water to be removed from the air each day. Years ago, relative humidity was only able to be reduced to 40% using simple dehumidifiers, equaling 5 gallons of water each day. Innovations in technology over time have allowed for significant improvements in drying time and prevention of mold: one to two days compared to four or more days.
- Rescue Mat Systems: This powerful water extraction equipment used today is far more effective and efficient in lowering humidity than vacuum units. Rescue mat systems can efficiently mitigate water from a number of flooring materials, leaving the subfloors and pads slightly moist but not wet.
Benefits of Using Advanced Drying Techniques
- Preventing Mold – Faster drying times have decreased the risk for mold growth. This helps to prevent any health issues, including respiratory infections, allergic reactions, and skin reactions. When left to grow, mold will also consume porous materials, including wood framing and drywall, to the point at which they are unsalvageable. Advanced dehumidification systems are designed to remove all excess moisture to prevent mold growth faster. With lower humidity levels, mold is not able to thrive and may even die quickly.
- Lower expenses: Using modern drying technology, wet carpeting, pads, and other building materials can be restored completely and don’t need to be replaced. The reduced drying times allow for lower restoration costs and the home and business owners to return home or back to work sooner with minimal disruption. Advanced drying systems can also prevent costs associated with older drying techniques, such as removing the carpet, padding, and subfloors, or even discarding everything and installing replacements.
- Additional benefits: Quickly eliminating excess moisture allows for porous materials, such as wood and drywall, to become fully restored without swelling; the fabric in furnishings, including upholstery and drapes can be dried quickly; metals not rusting in doorknobs and hinges; and finally destruction of electronics from high humidity levels.
Improvement in Water Damage Restoration Professional Experience and Training
As water restoration equipment has become more advanced, so have the processes and training undergone by water damage restoration professionals. Nowadays, the need to invest in advanced equipment, products, and training methods are essential, especially when it comes to customer satisfaction. This allows for efficient drying times, lower costs, and minimal disruption.
Call Your Local Water Damage Restoration Provider
Whether you have experienced a pipe burst, appliance leak or overflow, sewer backup, or flooding from rain, never hesitate to call your local water damage restoration professional. When searching, be sure to ask about their methods and verify the effectiveness and efficiency in their drying techniques, as they will play an important role in the drying process of your property.
Trusted water damage restoration professionals are available 24/7, will respond immediately, asses the damaged area, extract the water, and install advanced drying systems to allow for the best results, allowing you to save money and time during the restoration process. As for any damaged contents, such as jewelry, furniture, family heirlooms, and other valuables, they will be cleaned, dried, and restored to their original conditions.
The damage restoration contractors will also work to eliminate any mold or bacteria that might have grown before the restoration process, allowing you to return to a completely clean and healthy environment. Finally, they will work with your during the claims process to allow you to focus on other matters.
After the drying process, they will conduct a walkthrough with you to ensure complete peace of mind and satisfaction with the results.