There are many ways that water damage can occur within a home including floods, leaks, a broken pipe, or high humidity, and if water damage is discovered in your home, it is important to have the water removed and begin the restoration process within 48 hours. By reacting quickly to water damage, you can help prevent rust and mold from forming in your home. It is best to call a professional to handle water damage restoration because their services will help prevent excessive damage and decrease the risks of bacteria, fungus, or mold growing in the house. They have the proper tools and equipment to effectively remove water and dry out your home.
The following are some steps for effective drying to begin as you await professional water damage restoration services.
- Naturally Moving Air: The first step is to get air moving naturally by opening doors and windows for better air circulation. Closet and cabinet doors should also be opened to help with the drying. This method works best in low humidity.
- Mechanically Moving Air:Using high speed fans will increase the air circulation for faster drying. These fans can be bought or rented and if there is water damage in the HVAC system, do not use your central air conditioning or furnace blower.
- Dehumidifying: This is an important part of the drying process because it helps remove the water vapor from the air. Dehumidifiers are available in large and portable sizes and they are the most effective when used in a room with the doors and windows shut to prevent more moisture from building.
- Pumping Water: Sump pumps are important pieces of equipment for continuously moving excess water away from the house. Sump pumps can be rented to remove standing water but having a permanent sump pump installed is more effective.
- Shop Vacs: Shop vacs are built specifically to remove excess water with certain types designed to remove water from carpets and rugs. Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Remove Soaked Objects: Furniture and wet rugs that are soaked through should be put in the sun to help eliminate the moisture that has built up inside them and linoleum or sheet vinyl flooring should be removed for better evaporation.
- Absorb Moisture:Desiccant materials including silica gel, calcium oxide, and clay can be used to absorb moisture. Place wet items along with desiccant materials in air tight containers and seal them. It may take days or weeks to completely extract the moisture out of wet items using desiccant materials.
When water damage is discovered in your home, the first priority should be to contact a professional restoration company for water damage restoration services. In the meantime, following these drying tips will help you get a good start on the drying process which could help prevent mold & mildew from forming. Make sure to act quickly in the event of water damage and contact a trusted professional for the most effective water damage restoration services. If an unfortunate disaster does happen to you, leave services such as water damage restoration Eustis Florida and mold remediation Eustis Florida to the professionals.