The Do’s and Don’ts of Water Damage Restoration
Water damage can be derived from a number of different sources, both natural and man-made. Disasters such as hurricanes, severe flooding, storms, sewage backups, pipe leaks, and appliance malfunctions only name a few. But regardless of the source, all water damage emergencies must be addressed by a water damage cleanup professional.
The Effects of Water Damage
When water affects a property, it can either be clean or polluted, depending on the source. In order to protect your health and safety, it is important to know the source of the damage when starting the cleanup process.
Some leaks will be obvious, such as basement flooding, appliance malfunctions, and clogged plumbing, others can go unnoticed, such as those that occur behind walls and underneath flooring. When this happens, mold is soon to follow in as little as 24 hours after the damage occurred.
In any situation that you find water damage on your property, make sure to follow this do’s and don’ts list to limit the damage and start the restoration process earlier.
Water Damage Restoration – What to Do:
- Try to contain the water within the affected area
- Remove as much standing water as possible through mopping or blot drying with a towel
- Wipe down any furniture
- Place a piece of foil between wet flooring materials and furniture legs
- Prop up any furniture cushions and pillows
- Lift drapes off the floor by looping them through a coat hanger and hanging them on the curtain rod
- Remove all area rugs from wet floors
- Turn on the ventilation system to air out the affected area
- Relocate all artwork and pictures to a safe, dry place
- Open all closet doors, furniture drawers, and luggage to help dry them out
- Remove wet fabrics and hang them up to dry right away
- Hang up wet furs and leather material to dry at room temperature
Water Damage Cleanup – What NOT to Do:
- Do not use your vacuum cleaner to remove standing water
- Do not place any newspaper on the floor
- Do not enter any room with electrical or structural damage
- Do not lift up any carpeting that is tacked down
- Do not hesitate to call a water restoration professional
- Do not try to clean up any sewage water yourself
- Do not use any electrical appliances while standing on wet floors or carpets
Call the Water Damage Repair Professionals
Calling a professional water damage restoration service right away should be the first action you take in any water damage emergency. ServiceMaster is not only a trusted and reliable name in the industry, but is available 24/7 to respond. Regardless of the type of property or extent of damage, their experts will respond immediately.
ServiceMaster EMT has been known to provide the residents and businesses of Las Vegas, NV and the surrounding areas with professional services since 1982. In fact, they are considered to be one of the largest franchises in the nation, covering large areas of California, Arizona, and Nevada. After years of providing peace of mind, they are ready to restore yours with professional flood cleanup services.
Be sure to give them a call at (702) 786-1999 in the Las Vegas, NV area for emergency services.