Many people in the United States are affected by hoarding but a lot more has been understood about the disorder in recent years that has led to better services for those affected. Hoarding is a mental disorder that is a symptom of anxiety and the living conditions created by hoarding behaviors can greatly threaten the health and safety of hoarders and their families. ServiceMaster EMT provides hoarding cleaning services in Anaheim, CA to clean up and restore the homes of hoarders. We will remove unnecessary hoarded items as well as clean and disinfect the home to restore safe living conditions.
The main behavior associated with hoarding is the collection of all types of objects including newspapers, food containers, trash, and sometimes animals and individuals that hoard are not capable of throwing anything away which causes the collection of items to grow. This growing hoard of items leads to dangerous living conditions in a home by increasing the risk of a fire, blocking access to parts of the home, and creating an unhealthy environment by harboring mold and bacteria growth. People that hoard are often embarrassed by their situation and the condition of their homes and they will rarely reach out themselves for help. A family member or close friend usually intervenes on behalf of the individual to help them start the cleaning and restoration process.
The technicians of ServiceMaster EMT have the training and experience to thoroughly clean and restore the homes of hoarders. We will help by removing all unwanted hoarded items and make sure the home is cleaned and disinfected once the items are removed to create a much more sanitary living environment. Our hoarding cleaning services include the following actions:
- Saving of jewelry, money, and other valuables
- Disposal of unwanted items
- Help deciding what items should be thrown away, kept, recycled, or donated
- Donation of items to a charity of choice
- Distribution of items to friends and family members
- Help with paperwork from trusts, attorneys, and government agencies
Hoarding Cleaning Services from ServiceMaster
The key to successful hoarding cleaning services is establishing a relationship with the affected individual that includes feelings of mutual trust and respect. The hoarding cleaning approach taken by ServiceMaster that was developed with the help of Matt Paxton emphasizes this personal connection and places the individual in charge of deciding what to do with specific hoarded items. ServiceMaster EMT takes this approach with each hoarding cleaning project and it is divided into the following 3 phases:
Phase 1: Building a Personal Connection
- We attempt to assess the situation before entering the home.
- We build a personal relationship with the individual that includes mutual trust and respect.
- We form a cleaning plan with the individual and their family and we will refer a counseling professional at this stage if more help is needed.
Phase 2: Creating and Implementing a Cleaning Plan
- We create a thorough cleaning plan to remove unwanted items and disinfect the home.
- We will help reorganize what is left after removing the unwanted items.
- We can help make decisions about which objects should be thrown away, donated, recycled, or kept and the final decision is made by the individual.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- We create a cleaning plan that will help the individual keep their home clean after we are done.
- We do follow ups to make sure the individual is keeping their home clean and we will provide additional cleaning services if necessary.
- We make sure the individual is in control throughout the entire process.
It is important to help a family member or friend that hoards understand the consequences of the problem and get help before they create dangerous living conditions in their home. ServiceMaster EMT is trained and equipped to clean up homes affected by even the most severe cases of hoarding. If you know someone in the Anaheim, CA area that struggles with hoarding issues, you can call us 24 hours a day at (714) 975-8448 to learn more about our hoarding cleaning services.