Different Carpet Stains and How to Remove Them
When you install new carpeting in your home or business, it’s not a matter of “if” it will become stained; it’s a matter of “when”. No matter how much you insist on no shoes, food, drinks, or pets, carpet stains will happen. The important thing to know is how to remove stains from the carpet before they become permanent and ruin your costly investment.
The following list includes the different types of carpet stains and how to remove them:
- Pet stains
- Coffee stains
- Kool aid and lemonade stains
- Blood stains
- Ink stains
Having a cat or dog means that eventually you’ll have pet stains on the carpet. As much as we love our furry friends, they can mark up the carpet with numerous stains over time.
So here’s how to remove pet stains using natural home remedies:
- First, pick up any solid mess or blot up urine.
- Be sure not to rub or smear, which will make the cleanup more difficult. Continue blotting a wet stain until it is almost dry.
- If you don’t find the accident until it’s dry, wet the area and apply a cleaning product specially made for pet stains.
- A good carpet odor remover can be made by combining ¼ cup vinegar and a quart of warm water.
- Spray it on the stain, soak for several minutes, then blot and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat until the smell is gone.
It’s hard to tell what’s more upsetting, losing the morning cup of caffeine or getting it all over the carpet. Coffee stains can easily be mistaken for pet accidents because of their similar colors, so you definitely want to clean them up fast.
How to remove coffee stains:
- Blot the area with a clean, dry, white towel.
- Be sure not to spread the liquid further; change towels if necessary.
- Try the vinegar/water/dish soap mixture first and blot carefully before you try a commercially available product.
Kool Aid and Lemonade Stains
The dyes in these kids’ favorites can cause bright stains that attract unwanted attention. If you act quickly, you can remove stains from carpets, even white ones, before it’s too late.
How to remove kool aid and lemonade stains:
- Blot the area with a white cloth; never rub, as it will push the dye further into carpet fibers.
- Use a commercial product specifically made to treat stains, or if you don’t have one, combine ¼ cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of dish soap in a spray bottle and fill with water.
- Spray the area liberally, let sit for 5-10 minutes, then blot with a clean, dry towel until the stain is gone.
The most important thing to remember is to always work with cold water when cleaning up blood. Heat makes it coagulate and cold water will keep it from soaking deeper into fibers.
How to remove blood stains:
- Fill a spray bottle with cold water and 2 tablespoons of a grease-cutting dish soap, then spray liberally on the area until it is soaked.
- Use a paper towel or white cloth to blot the area and transfer the blood to the cloth.
- Rinse with cold water and repeat as necessary. If this doesn’t remove all traces, use a bleach-free laundry product that will oxidize the stain and remove it.
How to remove ink stains:
- Soak a white cloth in isopropyl alcohol; the higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it will work.
- Dab the stain with the cloth, but don’t scrub because that will cause the ink to spread. It might take a few treatments to get all the stain out.
- Some hair sprays, nail polish removers, white wines, and vinegars will also work, as long as the alcohol content is high enough.
Professional Carpet Cleaning to Remove Stains
If you have a stain that won’t go away, or if you don’t know how to remove odors from the carpet, trust the experts at ServiceMaster by Metzler. We’ve helped home and business owners in Mt. Prospect, IL protect their investments in carpeting for years and keep them in top shape.
We inspect and pre-treat damaged areas, use the hot water extraction method to remove even old stains, and groom fibers so they look beautiful again. ServiceMaster’s method means carpets dry quickly, so you don’t have to wait long to use your rooms again. Our professionals will ensure that your carpets look as good as the day they were installed. We can do a one-time cleaning, or work with you to create a regular schedule of cleanings that will keep them looking their best at all times.
Carpet cleaning prices vary, depending on the number of carpets in the home or commercial space, and the amount of staining. According to HomeAdvisor.com, the national average is $175.
For a free estimate on your next carpet cleaning in the northwest Chicago area, call ServiceMaster by Metzler at (847) 380-7888.