Checking your Memphis Home for Mold After a Fire
Fires can bring devastating damage to a home in Memphis, TN and as a result, the restoration process can be very extensive. It is best to call for a fire damage restoration professional in the aftermath of a fire to handle the cleanup process and help restore your home and belongings. Fires often leave behind soot and smoke damage but there is also a possibility of mold forming from the water used to put out the fire.
If the proper steps are not taken when the fire is put out, there is a high chance of water damage occurring that could lead to mold growth. The damage caused by the fire may also cause the homeowner to forget about the potential water damage that their home could experience from putting out the fire. There are mold spores in most homes and it only takes the right conditions to trigger their growth. Excess moisture is the number one condition that leads to mold growth and homes generally have a high moisture level after a fire is extinguished.
Firefighters generally use hoses or sprinkler systems to put out fires which will soak the home as it extinguishes the flames. This leaves behind wet carpets, furnishings, flooring, and upholstery that are all susceptible to mold growth. Using a dehumidifier or large industrial fan can help the home dry out but this may not be enough to prevent mold growth. If you find mold or mildew in your home after a fire, you will need to hire a mold remediation professional or a fire damage restoration service provider that also offers mold remediation.
Personal belongings such as bedding and clothing harbor mold if they were soaked in the process of extinguishing the fire and have not been properly cleaned or dried. In most cases, cleaning these items with your washer and dryer is effective but some cases may require special treatment. One such treatment is white vinegar which can be added to a load of laundry to help reduce odors. If the musty smell of mildew is not removed from your clothes with vinegar, it may be necessary to consult a professional on the best cleaning methods to eliminate the odors.
In the aftermath of a fire, it is very easy for a homeowner to lose sight of the potential mold problem because of the other cleaning and restoration that is happening. However, it is important to remember to check your home for mold after a fire because exposure to mold could lead to a range of health problems such as allergies, breathing problems, and asthma among others. The best thing you can do after a fire is hire a reliable service provider that offers fire, mold, and water damage restoration to make sure your home and belongings are fully restored. You must call for fire damage restoration services immediately from a professional restoration company such as RestorationMaster after the fire is put out because the longer you wait the more permanent the damage becomes.