Accustomed to the busy life in polluted big cities, people just take all the noise, the exhaust fumes and the dense smog around them for granted. And when by accident we are faced with the grandeur and purity of nature, we are genuinely astonished. The natural environment is a perfect system, capable of preserving its harmony and purity regardless of all the harmful industrial chemicals, smokes and contamination. One of its best cleansing agents is hydroxyl – a reliable guardian of the Earth’s atmosphere.
How Does Hydroxyl Influence The Environment?
The hydroxyl molecules form when the ultraviolet rays of the sun react with water vapor. They have an incredibly short life span – just a few seconds, but this provides enough time for the hydroxyl functional group to cause the decomposition of various harmful compounds in the atmosphere. This actually happens due to the capability of hydroxyls to form hydrogen bonds – they abstract hydrogen atoms from organic and inorganic compounds alike, thus initiating free radical decomposition processes. The chain reaction continues until the molecular structure of polluting compounds is fully dismantled.
This peculiar purifying property has been recently introduced to the disaster restoration industry. When used to deal with bacteria, viruses, mold, fumes, gases, vapors and nasty odors, the hydroxyl radicals react with the chemicals that have caused them and destroy the source of the problem. However, hydroxyl molecules do not form naturally indoors and are very short-lived, so special equipment is required to enable hydroxyl odor removal.
How Do Hydroxyl Generators Function?
Specially designed optics creates synthetic ultraviolet rays in the generator chamber. They combine with the ambient humidity to produce hydroxyl. Contaminated air is then directed inside with the help of a fan.A second segment of specialized UV optics in high quality hydroxyl generators prevents fungi and microorganisms from multiplying again. Deodorized and purified air is then released back in the room. The process continues and spreads throughout the entire space, enabling effective penetration of various porous materials and complete odor removal. Even clothes, furniture and carpets can be decontaminated and sanitized by hydroxyl generating systems which are considered to be a very beneficial, innovative and green technology. They are widely used for treating odors caused by fire and smoke, water losses and mold.
What Are The Benefits Of Hydroxyl Deodorization?
Hydroxyl traditionally competes with ozone for the title of a highly preferred and most effective odor remover. And while ozone is definitely the faster agent (hydroxyl deodorization usually takes several days), hydroxyls boast some other important advantages:
- The hydroxyl functioning group reacts with a very broad range of compounds which allows it to eliminate odors caused by protein fires, fuel oil, biohazard substances and sulfur compounds that are very difficult if not impossible to remove by other deodorants. Actually, there is hardly an odor that will not be affected by hydroxyls;
- Hydroxyls are among the most powerful oxidants in the world, way ahead of ozone. So, they do not just mask the odors but effectively eliminate them;
- The hydrogen atom abstraction continues in a cascade of decomposition processes that lead to successful penetration of various structures and contents and as a result – to the complete sanitization of any contaminated material. This way any further bacteria growth and development is effectively prevented. However, remember that hydroxyls can’t go through drywalls or brick walls, so mold growing beneath these will not be eliminated;
- Hydroxyls are perfectly safe. Neither living beings, nor sensitive materials will suffer any harmful effects. Even paper, art pieces or electronics can be treated with hydroxyl at no risk.
There are no concerns about health issues for people and animals and no danger of eventual damage to furniture or bleaching the fabrics. Businesses don’t need to close and residents can stay safely in their homes while hydroxyl deodorization takes place;
- Hydroxyl technology is relatively simple to use and the machines can be moved around for better access to difficult areas.
All things taken into consideration, hydroxyl treatment is a highly effective, safe and delicate method of deodorization. It is especially recommended for pet odor removal because your animal friends will be able to remain home and will be in no danger during the process.
How To Increase The Hydroxyl Treatment Efficiency?
To ensure optimum results when using hydroxyl technology, you must provide the following favorable conditions:
- Good air circulation. Hydroxyl molecules live for about two seconds only, so air movement is of primary importance for spreading them quickly throughout the entire space;
- High humidity The chain reactions will take place in any environment but you will speed up the process if you provide a high level of humidity in the treatment area. Temperature is not a relevant factor but humidity is essential for optimal hydroxyl odor removal;
- Proper filtration. This is not a crucial element, but it will help improve the overall performance of the hydroxyl generator by removing particles and microbes.
Depending on the severity of odor and some other circumstances, such as the ventilation and the layout of the specific room, higher concentrations of hydroxyl or longer hours of operation may be required for achieving a satisfactory result.
If you are faced with substantial smoke damage, for example, and you find yourself wondering what the best method of smoke odor removal is, remember that new technologies are available – safer and more efficient than ever before.
Now that you are familiar with the pros and cons of hydroxyl deodorization, be sure to research your options and choose the alternative that best suits your needs.