The Procedure for Biohazard and Crime Scene Cleanup
Unfortunately, the police and EMTs do not clean up crime scenes containing biohazard materials. You are responsible for the cleaning and restoration of your own property. Professional crime scene cleaners safely restore crime and trauma scenes and they can also remove and dispose of biohazard materials. Removing the physical evidence of the tragedy is a very important first step towards recovery. You can rest assured that professional crime scene cleaners will safely clean and sanitize the scene with the following procedure.
When the biohazard cleanup professionals first arrive, they evaluate the scene to determine the following:
- Which disinfectants to use depending on the type and amount of biohazard materials.
- Which materials at the scene to consider dangerous biohazard materials.
- How to transport and dispose of the biohazard materials.
Biohazard cleaning professionals use several EPA registered and hospital grade cleaners to completely remove all traces of biohazard materials. These cleaners typically include:
- EPA registered tuberculocidal disinfectants
- EPA registered disinfectants known to be effective against HIV and HBV
- Diluted bleach solutions
- FDA approved sterilants and disinfectants
Disposal of Biohazard Materials
The entire biohazard cleanup process consists of two main phases; restoration of the scene and disposal of the biohazard materials. Biohazard materials generally consist of the following:
- Blood, tissues, bodily fluids, and other potentially infectious materials (OPIM)
- Objects contaminated with biohazard materials that could potentially spread infection
Biohazard cleanup professionals transport biohazard materials in safe containers to a medical waste facility that is equipped and licensed for proper disposal. The containers used to transport biohazard materials must meet the following criteria:
- Sealable to prevent spills
- Built to prevent leakage during the storage, transportation, and handling
- Properly labeled per regulatory protocol
Discovering a trauma scene on your property involving biohazard materials leaves you feeling helpless without knowing what to do next. Once you call the right authorities, you must get in touch with crime scene cleanup professionals immediately. These professionals effectively remove biohazard materials and fully restore the scene to protect your safety and help you begin your recovery. You can trust biohazard cleaning professionals to get your home or business back to a safe condition with the procedure described above.