What is a steam mop?
To make the most out of your flooring, a steam mop is the ultimate must-have cleaning appliance. Powered by electricity, water that is contained in a vessel is heated creating steam that cleans both dirt and grease. Compared to an ordinary mop and bucket with water and a cleaning solution, steam mops are a lot more environmentally friendly and will also help you save time with minimal effort. Steam mops are ideal for hard floor surfaces such as wood, marble, ceramic and stone. They are also good for cleaning laminates and glued tiles.
How to use a steam mop?
1) Clear the area you are preparing to clean. Do so by placing any moveable furniture out of the way or to one side of the room, so you will have more room to clean in one go; saving you time.
2) As you would with an ordinary mop, give the floor a sweep over and ensure you have picked up any dust or dirt before you steam. This will also prevent damaging your steam mop.
3) Make sure the appliance is unplugged before you attach the cleaning pad. Place the pad on first and then plug it in. Add water to the reservoir and always remember to unplug your steam mop before refilling.
4) When the indication light goes on, the mop is ready to use. Start with the furthest side or corner of the floor you are working on and push the mop gently forward to release steam and backwards to pick up dirt and debris on the pad. The steam will dry very quickly so wait a few seconds and move to the next surface area.
5) Depending on the model of your steam mop, some have two-sided heads and others will require you changing the pad after each use. When doing so, always remember to unplug as a safety regulation.
6) Once you have finished using your steam mop, ensure it is switched off, unplugged and that there is no water in the reservoir before you store it away. Remove and wash the cleaning pad to avoid mold growth.
How to clean a steam mop?
1) Unplug your steam mop by gently pulling out the cord from the power source. Allow at least 15 to 20 minutes before you clean it, as this will allow the appliance to cool down if you have recently used it.
2) Drain the reservoir to ensure it is completely empty. This will decrease the risk of mildew developing over time.
3) Soak and wash the pads to prolong them for further use. Do so by detaching the used cleaning pads and soaking them with a little baking soda and washing detergent. Leave for at least 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly to remove the soap. If easier for you, machine wash the pads and then either tumble or air dry.
4) Clean the reservoir with a cloth and warm water; wipe the interior and exterior with a damp cloth for best results.
5) Wipe the mop surface of the steamer gently with a damp cloth.
6) Reattach the reservoir and leave empty until you next use it. Store the appliance in an upright position in a dry, dust-free storage area.