Preventing Electrical Fires in your Home
A fire at your home or business is frightening and unlike storms, there’s no advanced warning or time to prepare. Fortunately there are things you can do to limit the chances of an electrical fire. These tips will help slash your risk of an electrical fire at your home or business.
- Schedule an inspection: Have an electrician inspect your home every 10 years or so. A full inspection by a trained professional will turn up and repair electrical problems that can cause a fire if left unattended.
- Replace old wiring: Homes built before 1970 may have knob and tube wiring, which needs to be replaced. Outlets that have only two prongs should be updated for safety, rather than relying on three prong adapters.
- Check plugs and cords: Cords can become frayed and plugs can be damaged over time or by less than careful use, leading to a fire. If the device is inexpensive, it might be cheaper and easier to buy a new one. High-ticket appliances with damaged cords can be repaired by an electrician.
- Don’t overload your outlets: Make sure there is only one heat-producing appliance in a single wall outlet at a time. Extension cords should never be used to power heat-producing appliances. If you used extension cords frequently, have an electrician install outlets in more convenient locations.
- Use surge protectors: Surge protectors not only protect electronics from power surges, but they also reduce the risk of an overloaded outlet, which can spark and cause a fire.
Unfortunately, there’s no way to completely guard your home against fires, so if you are the victim of one, call the experts at your local RestorationMaster Provider. They will be on site within two to four hours of your call to begin the restoration process. They use only the most advanced products in the industry to return your home or business to its usual condition, and they’re a preferred vendor for several insurance companies.