Complete City Information and Local Restoration and Cleaning Guide to Rochester, NY
Rochester, NY is a city located in upstate New York just south of the shore of Lake Ontario. It has the third largest population in the state of New York behind just New York City and Buffalo and it is the center of a metropolitan area with a population of just over 1 million. Rochester rose to prominence in the early 1800s as one of the first “Boomtowns” in the U.S. behind its flour mills. The economy of Rochester is now centered on higher education and technological development and it is routinely ranked one of the best cities live in with a low cost of living.
Rochester has the lowest real estate prices of any city in the state of New York and in order to keep their cost of living down, residents should be aware of local restoration service providers that can help protect their homes. The Rochester area experiences humid conditions year round with heavy snow in the winters which can lead to problems with water damage and mold. If your home or business is in need of water damage restoration, mold remediation, or fire and smoke damage restoration, contact a local disaster restoration service provider to begin the restoration immediately.
Disaster Restoration and Cleaning Services for Rochester, NY
Water Damage Restoration and Flood Cleanup for Rochester, NY
There are several potential causes for water damage within a home or building that could include leaks and bused pipes as well as natural disasters such as heavy rain and flooding. Water damage can lead to mold growth in just a couple days so make sure to contact a local water damage restoration expert as soon as you discover the damage. The Rochester area routinely experiences humid conditions which contribute to water damage so it is important for homeowners and business owners to consistently check for damage and call a professional before it develops into mold growth.
Mildew and Mold Removal for Rochester, NY
Mold and mildew are an unsettling sight for homeowners and business owners and the humidity of the Rochester area only makes mold growth more likely. Mold only needs the right moisture level and temperature to grow and it can cause damage to the surfaces it grows on as well as contribute to adverse health effects. A mold remediation expert should be called immediately to remove all mold growth and repair or replace the affected surfaces before it spreads to other areas and causes allergic reactions to those that are exposed. A mold removal professional will also locate and repair the moisture source so the mold will not return.
Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration for Rochester, NY
Few disasters are more destructive to a home or building than fires and even after the fire is put out, there are still corrosive byproducts left behind as well as soot and smoke that can cause further damage. As soon as the fire is extinguished, you should contact a fire and smoke damage restoration professional to help clean up the soot and repair the damage before it spreads. An experienced professional can work fast to get your home restored as quickly as possible and help eliminate any lingering smoke odor.
Snow, Humidity, and Lake Ontario: Rochester Weather
The Rochester area has a humid continental climate which experiences four distinct seasons with ample humidity and precipitation year round. The winters are cold with heavy snow that is caused by the lake effect of Lake Ontario with moderate temperatures in the spring and fall. The summers are comfortably warm with temperatures that rarely get above 85 but are usually accompanied by high humidity levels. The most common natural disasters for the Rochester area are floods, storms, and winter storms that can be attributed to the lake effect and high humidity.
The humid climate and regular precipitation in the Rochester area can lead to a range of problems for homeowners such as flooding, water damage, and mold growth. Heavy snow and ice in the winter can also contribute to water damage or cause structural damage to a home or building if it becomes too heavy. Disaster restoration professionals in Rochester, NY can help restore water and storm damage to your home or business caused by heavy rains and snow. Make sure to contact a restoration professional as soon as the damage is discovered to stop the damage from spreading and begin the restoration process.
The World’s Image Center: Business and Economy in Rochester, NY
Rochester was originally known as the “Flour City” due to its flour mills that helped raise the city to prominence and then it became a major manufacturing center. Today Rochester’s economy is based on higher education along with medical and technological development and it is known as the “World’s Image Center” because of the imaging and optical science programs of their universities and the presence of major companies in the industry including Eastman Kodak and Xerox. Other notable companies with corporate headquarters in Rochester include Ambrosia Software, Bausch & Lomb, Carestream Health, and ESL Federal Credit Union.
Higher education is one of the largest sectors of Rochester’s economy. The largest employer in Rochester is the University of Rochester which is one of the top rated schools in the nation. The University of Rochester includes the Simon School of Business as well as the Eastman School of Music which is considered the top music school in the U.S. The Rochester Institute of Technology in the nearby suburb of Henrietta is also a well-respected school renowned for its research in technological development and fine arts programs.
If you run a local business in Rochester or are responsible for the maintenance of a school or building, you should understand the importance of keeping the building clean. One of the best ways to keep a school or office building maintained is with regular carpet and upholstery cleaning services. Carpets and furniture in public spaces are used consistently throughout the day and this heavy use can contribute to dirt buildup as well as wear and tear. With regular professional upholstery and carpet cleaning services, you can keep the carpet and furniture upholstery clean which will improve their look to make a better impression to visitors and create a healthier environment for the students and/ or employees.
From Parks to the Performing Arts: Fun Things to do in Rochester, NY
- Performing Arts: One of the most popular Rochester attractions is the performing arts. Rochester is home to the Garth Fagan Dance Company and Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra which each perform concerts at the Eastman Theatre as well as the Rochester Broadway Theater League which performs at the Auditorium Theater. A variety of plays and concerts are also put on at Rochester’s historic Geva Theatre Center.
- Museums: There are several museums located in Rochester such as the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film, Memorial Art Gallery, National Museum of Play at the Strong, and Rochester Museum and Science Center. The George Eastman House is the oldest photography museum in the world and it is located within the 50 room mansion that was owned by Kodak founder George Eastman. The National Museum of Play at the Strong is a popular children’s museum that features hands-on exhibits, an indoor butterfly garden, and the National Toy Hall of Fame.
- Parks: Rochester has several well-known parks, some of which were designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, a famous landscape architect. Highland Botanical Park is one of the oldest arboretums in the U.S. and it is also the sight of the annual Lilac Festival which is the most popular Rochester event. Durand Eastman Park is another popular park on the border of Rochester and Irondequoit that borders the Lake Ontario coastline.
- Festivals: There are several festivals hosted in Rochester with the most popular being the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, the Rochester International Film Festival, and the Lilac Festival. The Xerox International Jazz Festival is one of the country’s largest jazz festivals and its lineup has featured legends such as Aretha Franklin and Herbie Hancock. The Rochester International Film Festival is the longest running short film festival which has featured a variety of short films from around the world every year since 1959.
- Nightlife: Rochester has a lively night life with three areas in particular that are the center of activity. The East End district is in downtown Rochester and features a variety of nightclubs, bars, high-end restaurants, and coffee shops with the Eastman School of Music also in the area. The Park Avenue neighborhood is the center of Rochester’s art scene and has trendy bars coffee shops, cafes, bistros, and late night art galleries. The South Wedge district is becoming more popular as the students of the University of Rochester have come into the area for the trendy bars and affordable housing.
- Restaurants: Rochester has its own local cuisine centered on the “white hot” which is a cross between a hot dog and a bratwurst. Nick Tahou Hots is a popular restaurant in Rochester that serves white hots as well as other local favorites such as the popular Garbage Plate dish. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que is another popular restaurant in Rochester that serves authentic barbecue prepared over a wood barbecue pit. Rochester’s culinary claim to fame is Abbot’s Frozen Custard which was founded in Rochester and operates a store in the city.