Candles add a relaxing touch to a home’s atmosphere, but they’re also the cause of nearly 10,000 residential fires every year, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Follow these fire safety tips to enjoy the beauty of an open flame without the danger of a candle fire.
Candle Safety Tips
- Always burn candles in well-ventilated rooms and don’t burn too many in a small room with limited air exchange.
- Never burn candles in rooms with drafts, vents, fans or air currents. This leads to uneven burning, flare-ups, and soot formation.
- Keep candles at least a foot away from anything flammable, such as paper, fabric, curtains, or furniture.
- Burn candles in stable holders and place them on sturdy, level surfaces that are heat resistant. A taper on a delicate table may look lovely in a book, but it’s a disaster waiting to happen at a party.
- Keep candles at least three inches apart so they won’t fall on one another while burning. If you need candles closer for a decorating reason, use battery operated flameless ones.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. They can easily knock over a candle and spill hot wax on themselves, or ignite themselves or nearby furnishings. Teach children candle safety by showing them how to extinguish flames correctly and to do so before moving a candle.
- Never leave a lit candle unsupervised; if you leave the room, blow it out. Don’t go to bed with a candle burning because it’s too easy to fall asleep before you blow it out.
- Extinguish candles before they’ve completely burned down. Container candles should still have a half inch of wax, while pillars and tapers should be snuffed when they get down to about two inches.
- Never move burning candles. Melted wax spills easily and causes injuries. People may use candles during power outages in the movies, but it’s much safer to use flashlights and lanterns.
- Consider a safer alternative. Battery operated flameless candles come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Some even have aromatherapy and remotes. Children and pets still have to be supervised, but to ensure that they don’t break the candles.
If you need fire damage restoration services for your home or business in St. Charles, MO, call ServiceMaster of St. Charles, Clayton & Westport. Their technicians will work with you to develop a comprehensive restoration plan to get your property restored to its original condition. They have advanced training and use only the most effective products and equipment available to the trade to clean and restore your home or commercial property and its contents quickly and efficiently.
Fire damage restoration costs vary, depending on the extent of the damage. According to HomeAdvisor.com, the national average for fire and smoke restoration is $5,844.00