Only a few days after a fire, items go from cleanable to unsalvageable. The professionals of ServiceMaster EMT are experts in understanding the chemical combinations that can effectively clean and salvage belongings, providing complete fire damage restoration services in Los Angeles, CA. Our technicians can remove soot from at-risk items such as brass, aluminum, chrome, marble, tile, and porcelain as well as fabrics in upholstery and carpets, thus helping to avoid additional expenses.
Fire Restoration Services
As soon as the flames are extinguished, the smoke and soot will spread throughout the property to cover everything in a thick, oily residue that can cause etching and tarnishing to the affected materials. If not addressed right away, these byproducts will compromise the structural make up of the building materials and contents, creating the need for replacement instead of restoration. This will quickly drive up costs and may not be covered by insurance/
This is why our technicians at ServiceMaster EMT consider all fire damage cases as emergency situations. We know that the byproducts will spread quickly if not cleaned right away. To begin the process, we will respond immediately boarding up the property and stabilizing the structure to prevent additional damage. We will then remove all permanently damage items and building materials that were destroyed by the flames.
All hard-surface materials, including marble, granite, brass, aluminum, and Formica surfaces will be cleaned and restored to their original condition. After the property is completely clean, we will deodorize it to remove the final smoke odor particles left from the smoke. We can also provide water damage restoration for building materials that were damaged from the fire hoses. Finally, ServiceMaster EMT will work with your insurance agency through the claims process while you focus on other matters.
Fire Damage Restoration Los Angeles, CA
After a Fire – Cautions:
- Do not enter the damaged site. Fires can rekindle from hidden, smoldering remains.
Normally, the fire department will see that utilities (water, electricity and natural gas) either are safe to use or are disconnected before they leave the site. Do not attempt to turn on utilities yourself.
- Be watchful for structural damage caused by the fire. Roofs and floors may be damaged and subject to collapse.
- Food, beverages, and medicine exposed to heat, smoke, soot, and water should not be consumed.
- Contact your local police department to let them know that the site will be unoccupied.
- In some cases it may be necessary to board up openings to discourage trespassers.
- Beginning immediately, save receipts for any money you spend. These receipts are important in showing the insurance company what money you have spent related to your fire loss, and also for verifying losses claimed on your income tax.
- If it is safe to do so, try to locate the following items.
- Identification, such as driver’s licenses and Social Security cards
- Insurance information
- Medication information
- Eyeglasses, hearing aids, or other prosthetic devices
- Valuables, such as credit cards, bank books, cash, and jewelry
- Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made. All damage is taken into consideration in developing your insurance claim.
- If you are considering contracting for inventory or repair services, discuss your plans with your insurance agent/company first.
If you are insured:
- Give notice of the loss to the insurance company or the insurer’s agent/ company.
- Ask the insurance company what to do about the immediate needs of the dwelling, such as covering doors, windows, and other exposed areas, and pumping out water.
- Ask your insurance agent/company what actions are required of you. Some policyholders may be required to make an inventory of damaged personal property showing in detail the quantity, description, and how much you paid for the items.
Fire and Smoke Damage – What to Do:
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes, and carpets.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
- Discard open food packages. The food could be contaminated.
- If electrical service is off, clean out your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors propped open or place charcoal in the unit.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified professional dry cleaner who specializes in smoke damage.
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing.
- Wipe residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Wipe the leaves of houseplants to remove smoke residue.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape cheesecloth over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air. This is even more effective if the cheesecloth is damp.
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
Important warnings on smoke and fire damage
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting your professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the soot residue problem.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture. Again, incorrect procedures could increase damage.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before having them checked. They could malfunction.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet. A short circuit could result.
- Do not touch anything. Soot on your hands can permeate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing further damage.
- Do not eat food that has been exposed to fire or smoke.
- Do not wait to call for professional help.
Contact ServiceMaster EMT anytime at 888-767-9075 for more information about our fire damage restoration services in Los Angeles and Lake Forest, CA 92630 area.
Related Fire Damage Restoration Services
Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration in Anaheim, CA
Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration in Santa Ana, CA
Fire Damage Restoration in Huntington Beach, CA
Fire Damage Cleanup in Santa Fe Springs, CA
Fire Damage Restoration in San Diego, CA