Fires always result in extensive damage in homes and buildings because the corrosive byproducts of a fire cause secondary damage after the initial damage caused by the flames. In the event of a fire, your priority is to evacuate your home or building and ensure that everyone else has gotten out safely. Once the fire is put out, you must turn your attention to the restoration before soot, smoke, and corrosive byproducts spread the damage. ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete provides fire and smoke damage restoration services to help cleanup and rebuild homes and businesses in Newark, NJ that have experienced a fire. Our 1-2 hour response time will help us limit the spread of corrosive byproducts in the aftermath and salvage as much of your property as possible.
Fires are typically the most destructive natural disaster because they happen so quickly and spread so fast. The flames can quickly engulf and destroy materials like wood and drywall, and the heat creates complex chemical reactions that result in corrosive byproducts and residue. These corrosive byproducts, as well as soot and smoke, linger after the fire and continue to spread to new areas and cause damage. Many affected objects and materials become corroded and discolored by these byproducts, and they are at risk for permanent damage without fast restoration.
At ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete, we are prepared to restore the effects of a fire from structural damage to tarnished surfaces and furnishings. We use powerful chemical cleaners that can effectively salvage a wide range of household surfaces and materials that have been damaged by soot or corrosive byproducts. Our fire damage restoration services include these basic steps:
- Emergency pre-cleaning
- Wall and ceiling cleaning
- Content cleaning and pack-out
- Odor removal
Once the fire department extinguishes the fire and gives you their approval, you must call ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete to stop the damage and start the restoration. After making the call, you can do the following to help limit the damage:
What to Do After a Fire
- Open all windows and doors if the outside temperature is above 60 degrees to air out your home.
- Wipe soot damage from porcelain, chrome, aluminum, and Formica surfaces to prevent permanent damage.
- Change the air filter of your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Cover all return and supply registers with a damp cheesecloth to catch loose soot from the air.
- Dispose of open food containers.
- Thoroughly clean out the inside of your refrigerator if your power is out.
- Smoke damaged clothing and fabrics should be set aside for restoration dry cleaning.
What Not to Do After a Fire
- Do not touch drywall, wood, or upholstery with soot damage because the oils in your hand can make the damage worse.
- Do not attempt to clean walls with soot damage because you will make the damage worse without the right cleaning methods.
- Do not try to clean your carpeting or upholstery.
- Have your electrical appliances inspected before using them.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the fixture or the ceiling is wet.
After a fire is put out at your home or building, make sure you contact ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete right away to help prevent significant secondary damage. We will contain the spread of the corrosive byproducts and work to salvage as much of your property as possible. You can reach us 24 hours a day at (732) 751-4004 to provide emergency fire and smoke damage restoration in Newark, NJ.