It is pretty common for individuals to hold onto belongings that they do not really need; however, those suffering from compulsive hoarding (or hoarding disorder) take this habit to the extreme. In fact, people die every year as a direct result of hoarding. These situations can be tricky, though, as affected individuals truly endure episodes of extreme anxiety when they are faced with throwing items away. At ServiceMaster of the Shore Area, we understand these various complexities, and look forward to assisting you and your loved ones with our hoarding cleaning services. We work with affected individuals to restore their property, and help them learn to cope with their condition over time.
Identifying the Dangers of Hoarding
The first step to successful hoarding cleaning is difficult, as help is often needed from friends and family members. Individuals affected by compulsive hoarding will almost always be too shy or ashamed to seek assistance. This is why trusted loved ones must reach out to show them the dangers that they are putting everybody in. These risks include the following and more:
- Fire Hazards: Cluttered items can create fire hazards, and then act as fuel when a fire starts.
- Tipping Hazards: Unsecure and loose items fall over to trap and physically harm individuals every year.
- Blocked Avenues of Escape: When emergencies occur, individuals will have fewer ways to exit the premises.
- Health Concerns: Allergens and irritants can build up in areas that are not regularly cleaned. Likewise, mold, mildew, and pests sometimes take up residence within piles of unused items and garbage.
All of these problems can cause severe harm to you and your loved ones, and can even result in death in extreme circumstances. This is the last thing that anybody wants, which is why we highly encourage you to contact us about our hoarding cleaning services.
Our Approach to Hoarding Cleaning
At ServiceMaster of the Shore Area, we work with affected individuals to return their homes to livable conditions once more. Our technicians fully understand the psychological complexities associated with hoarding cleaning, and will always provide our services with respect. It is not the affected individual’s fault that they suffer from compulsive hoarding.
In addition to compassionate service, you can expect the following when you choose to work with us:
- The removal of clutter and unnecessary items
- Decontamination and area restoration
- Deodorization of affected areas
- Assistance with determining which items to keep, throw away, recycle, and donate
- The development of an at-home cleaning plan to follow after we leave (we will follow up periodically to help you learn to manage your habits)
Finally, it is important to note that we are certified to handle dangerous biohazard materials that may be found while cleaning. We abide by regulations set by the EPA, OSHA, and the Department of Transportation, and work in accordance with applicable regulations set by local, state, and federal officials.
It can be a difficult decision to contact professional cleaners, but if you would like to learn more about our hoarding cleaning services, we encourage you to contact our representatives. We can be reached at (732) 722-5858. ServiceMaster of the Shore Area has assisted affected individuals in the Wildwood, NJ, community for a number of years, and we look forward to working with you, as well.