In the event that you have experienced significant damage to your property, RestorationMaster is available 24/7 to provide emergency disaster restoration services. However, there are a number of simple steps you can take in order to prevent this from happening. Ultimately, by taking these measures, you can significantly reduce your home or building from incurring severe structural damage.
Preventing Water Damage
- Use a drain snake to unclog drains. While there are many chemicals that are efficient in removing the grime from the pipes, they can severely damage the interior of the pipe. This can set you up for a burst pipe and water damage in the future. Instead, use a drain snake to pull out any materials that are creating the blockage.
- Monitor the water bill. Because pipes are supposed to remain hidden, a leak or burst can go unnoticed for a significant period of time. However, if you monitor your monthly water bill for any unexpected adjustments, you may find that you have a leak in the pipes.
- Plan the plants around the pipes. As there is much vegetation that have large, strong roots, they can wrap around the main water line. Over time, increased pressure can cause it to burst, creating a huge mess underground that can result in thousands of dollars in damage.
- Prevent frozen and burst pipes. Living in a cold environment can already be difficult. However, when temperatures reach extreme conditions, exterior pipes can become frozen and damaged. If not insulated properly, they can burst and cause a huge headache in the spring time.
- Inspect the gutters for blockages. In the fall time, gutters can become blocked from an overflow of leaves. When this happens, be sure to have them removed before winter. If the gutters do become blocked, rain water will run over the gutters, pool around your foundation and cause flooding.
- Do not pour grease down the sink. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it still happens. If you are ever cooking with grease, pour it in a can and allow it to sit overnight. Throw it away in the morning. This will ultimately prevent blockages in the kitchen pipes.
While these simple steps can significantly reduce your chances of water damage and flooding, it is impossible to avoid it altogether. RestorationMaster understands this situation completely, which is why we are available 24/7 to provide effective water damage restoration services. Call us right away in order to limit the spread of damage and start the drying process right away.
If you have any questions regarding our water damage repair services, you can refer to our water damage FAQ page to answer any general questions you may have. You can
Preventing Fire and Smoke Damage
- Never leave the room with an open flame. Both candles and burning stove tops are among the most common contributors to property fires. Always make sure to blow out the candle or turn off the stove if you need to leave the room for any period of time.
- Do not overload the circuits. As overloading the circuit can cause a devastating fire, ensure that the watt usage of each fuse box, circuit breaker, and extension cord does not exceed 1500 on the same circuit.
- Never leave the stove unsupervised. If you are using the oven or stove and need to leave the room, be sure to turn it off properly first. In addition, supervise any young children or pets around the oven and open flames.
- Never smoke in the house. As the ashes may fall within carpet fibers or furniture fabric while you are smoking, they can burn and cause a fire. To avoid this, either go outside or in the garage to prevent this safety hazard.
- Clean all appliances that use heat. When using the following appliances: chimney, fireplaces, furnaces, and space heaters, be sure to have them checked and cleaned to continue using them safely.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are functioning properly. You will want to make sure an alarm is installed in each room in order to be notified right away if a fire does occur. Batteries should be changed every six months. Keep a fire extinguisher stored in the kitchen or in a place within easy access. Make sure everyone knows how to use it and are aware of its location.
In addition to water damage, property fires cannot always be prevented. In the event that you have experienced a major loss as a result of a house or building fire, call RestorationMaster for emergency fire and smoke damage restoration services. Our technicians will not only restore the damage but prevent it from spreading, ensuring your peace of mind throughout the process.
If you have experienced a major loss due to a fire or flood in the Salem, Albany, Corvallis, or Lincoln City, OR areas, call RestorationMaster at (888) 915-7197 for emergency fire and water damage restoration services.