ServiceMaster of North Texas
Water Damage Related Info
When a property is affected by water or fire damage, it can spread to a number of areas, consuming building materials like drywall, wood, insulation, and more! In situations such as these, calling a professional restoration provider is a must.
ServiceMaster of North Texas is an experienced restoration and cleaning company that serves the Dallas, TX area with emergency water and fire damage cleanup services. They will respond immediately to restore all damaged building materials, even reconstructing the property if needed.
While our technicians are available 24/7 to respond to these emergencies, we hope that you won’t have one. Not all disasters can be prevented, but there is much that can be done to minimize chances of them happening. Check out our water and fire damage prevention tips to avoid a disaster in your home or building.
Water Damage Prevention
- Pay attention to your water bill. When the water bill is unusually high, be sure to inspect the pipes for drips, leaks, or water stains on the building materials below them. Be aware that even a few drops are enough to increase costs. If you do find a leak, make sure to have it repaired right away.
- Frozen and burst pipes and sprinkler heads. Many property floods in the winter time are the result of burst pipes and sprinkler heads. This occurs when the outside temperature causes the water in uninsulated pipes to freeze. The ice buildup within the pipe will increase the pressure, eventually bursting the pipe and spreading water throughout the property. To prevent this from happening, make sure that all pipes are insulated or are located in a heated area.
- Plant vegetation away from underground pipes. Especially when planting a tree, be mindful of the location of underground pipes to prevent the roots from wrapping around them and causing substantial pressure.
- Examine the gutters for blockages. Especially around fall is when you will want to make sure that your gutters and downspouts are free of leaves, dirt, sticks, and other debris. These blockages can cause water to spill over the sides, seep into the foundation, and cause it to flood.
- Use a drain snake to unclog drains. All of the chemical cleaners that claim to be eco-friendly will only deteriorate the interior pipe. Instead, purchase a drain snake to pull the debris from the drain.
- Do not pour grease down the drain. Instead of pouring it down the sink, allow the grease to settle and harden overnight in a can. Then throw away the can in the morning. Otherwise, the grease would stick to the interior part of the pipe, create a backup, and clog the drain.
While these tips have been proven to minimize the chances of flooding, just be aware that it cannot be prevented altogether. When this happens, don’t hesitate to call ServiceMaster of North Texas right away for water damage restoration in the Dallas, TX area.
For any questions regarding our service, please feel free to refer to our water damage FAQ page.
Fire Damage Prevention
- Clean and maintain heat-related appliances. Fireplaces and chimneys can become especially dirty from soot and creosote buildup. Make sure to have them professionally cleaned at least once each year, especially when using them in the fall and winter. Also, space heaters must be cleaned in order to prevent heated air from building up within the machine.
- Never smoke in the house. Cigarettes and cigars are a major fire hazard, especially when lit over carpet and furniture. Even the ashes are enough to start a flame. If you are a smoker, it is best to go outside or driveway, staying away from combustible materials.
- Avoid overloading the circuits. If you are one to use power strips, make sure that the circuit is not using more than 1500 watts of electricity at one time. If you have young children, consider covering outlets with plastic covers to prevent dangerous accidents.
- Never walk away from an open flame. This includes candles and stovetops. Especially with young children and pets, make sure that you are supervising them at all times. Even if you have to use the bathroom, put out the flame and then come back.
- Inspect all smoke alarms. Significant damage and repair costs can be saved with one fire alarm. But to ensure the highest level of safety, make sure that all units are on and functioning as well as remembering to replace the batteries every six months.
- Clean the lint filter from the dryer. Excess debris within the dryer cannot only be inefficient for the appliance, but can overwork and even overheat it. Always make sure to remove the lint from the filter after each use.
Similar to flooding, fires cannot always be prevented. In fact, many occur while the owner is away, spreading in minutes to cover a number of building materials. Even after the flames are extinguished, the smoke and soot byproducts will cover the remaining structure with a corrosive, oily residue.
In this situation, calling a professional restoration company like ServiceMaster of North Texas will significantly limit the damage and minimize time taken to restore your home or building. Each our licensed technicians is available 24/7 and will respond immediately to stabilize the structure, clean as well as the contents within, conduct needed repairs, and deodorize it. Finally, we will ensure that your property is fully returned to its original condition after a thorough inspection.
We are available in the Dallas, TX area at (972) 360-0999 for all fire damage emergencies.