Fires in a home or business are terrifying because even if the fire stays relatively contained, you are still at risk for experiencing significant property damage. Securing the safety of your family, employees, or tenants is the first thing you should do when a fire occurs. It is a relief to see the fire department put out the blaze, but you must remember that smoke and corrosive byproducts are still active and can make the damage even worse after a fire.
This is why you need to contact a fire damage restoration professional as soon as possible after the fire is out. RestorationMaster provides fire and smoke damage restoration services in Hattiesburg, MS to stop the spread of corrosive byproducts and repair the damage caused by the fire.
We use chemical cleaning products to reverse the effects of soot and corrosive byproducts, and we can provide complete construction services to rebuild the damage.
Damage from Soot and Smoke
The flames of a fire often cause intense damage, but in most cases involving fires, more damage is caused by soot and corrosive byproducts in the aftermath. The heat from a fire causes synthetic materials to produce corrosive byproducts and these byproducts, as well as soot and smoke, are still present in the home or building after the fire is extinguished.
As these byproducts spread, they cause etching and discoloration to the surfaces and materials they affect. The affected materials will sustain permanent damage if they are not restored within 72 hours of the fire. At RestorationMaster, we have powerful chemical cleaning products that can remove the effects of soot and corrosive byproducts from a wide range of common household surfaces and materials.
You cannot hesitate to call RestorationMaster after a fire because the longer you wait, the more damage you will sustain to your home or business. It is important to have our experts start cleaning the damaged materials right away and form a construction plan to get your home or building back to its pre-fire condition. As soon as you call us, you can help reduce the damage as you await our technicians with these tips:
Smoke Damage Cleanup – What to Do:
- If the outside temperature is above 60 degrees, open all doors and windows to air out the building.
- Wipe off chrome, aluminum, Formica, and porcelain surfaces to remove soot.
- Change the air filter in your furnace.
- Dispose of all food that was exposed to the fire.
- Cover return and supply registers with a damp cheesecloth to filter soot from the air.
- Thoroughly clean out your refrigerator if the power goes out.
- Save smoke damaged clothing and fabrics for specialized restoration dry cleaning services.
Smoke Mitigation – What NOT to Do:
- Do not touch porous materials including drywall, wood, or furniture because the oils in your hand can cause soot damage to penetrate these materials.
- Do not try to cleanup soot damage from your walls because you will make the damage worse without the right cleaning products and techniques.
- Do not clean the carpet or upholstery.
- Do not use electrical appliances until they have undergone a safety inspection.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
The aftermath of a fire can be a hectic and difficult time, but calling RestorationMaster immediately after the fire is put out will help restore your peace of mind. Our technicians will immediately start cleaning materials affected by soot and corrosive byproducts and we can effectively rebuild structural damage caused by the fire.
You can reach us 24 hours a day at (601)651-4022 for emergency fire and smoke damage restoration in Hattiesburg, MS.