With the added attention hoarding disorder has received over the last several years, we have gained a more complete understanding of the disorder which has helped improve the help and cleaning services offered to hoarders. Hoarding is a disorder that stems from more complex anxiety disorders in which an individual is incapable of throwing anything away. This can have serious consequences for the condition of the home and the health of the individual.
ServiceMaster EMT provides hoarding cleaning services in Sparks, NV to fully clean up and restore the homes of hoarders. Our technicians can remove the hoarded items as well as clean and sanitize the home to restore better living conditions.
Struggles with Hoarding
Those that struggle with hoarding often collect all types of items in their home and because they have difficulty disposing of anything, the collection of hoarded items will continue to build. As the hoard grows, the living conditions become more serious as the items will block off parts of the home, contribute to the risk of a fire, and allow mold and mildew to grow.
It is common for affected individuals to be embarrassed by their situation and avoid drawing attention to their homes which is why a family member or close friend needs to intervene and help the individual understand that the situation is not embarrassing and that they could benefit from cleaning their home.
Experienced and Licensed Cleanup Services
The technicians of ServiceMaster EMT are trained and certified to clean out and restore homes in even the most extreme cases of hoarding and we will also disinfect the home to help improve the living conditions.
Our hoarding cleaning services include these actions:
- Saving of valuable items including money and jewelry
- Disposing of unwanted items
- Helping to decide what can be saved and what should be thrown away
- Deciding what items can be donated
- Distributing certain items to family and friends
- Helping with the paperwork from attorneys, government agencies, and trusts
Hoarding Cleaning Services from ServiceMaster
ServiceMaster Restore has developed a unique, perfected approach to hoarding cleaning over the years, in which a personal feeling of trust and respect is established with the affected individual before any cleaning begins. This approach which is organized into these three phases:
Phase 1: Creating a Personal Connection
- Our technicians try to get an assessment of the hoarding problem before stepping foot in the home.
- We interact with the individual to try and establish mutual feelings of trust and respect.
- We will begin planning the cleaning process with the individual and their family and decide during this stage if any additional help is needed from a counseling professional.
Phase 2: Forming and Implementing a Cleaning Plan
- ServiceMaster EMT forms a cleaning plan with the help of the individual to remove the hoarded items.
- Once the unwanted items are removed, we will help reorganize the home with what is left.
- We can help make decisions about what items should be thrown away, donated, kept, or given to family members while giving the individual ultimate say.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- Once the job is complete, we create a cleaning plan to help the individual maintain a clean home.
- We provide short term follow ups to check on the individual’s progress with the cleaning plan and we will provide further cleaning services if necessary.
- We always make sure that the individual has control of the situation throughout the entire process.
Hoarding cases should be treated delicately because the behaviors of a hoarder stem from deeper anxiety issues but they should be treated with a sense of urgency because of the dangerous living conditions hoarding can create.
If a close friend or family member in the Sparks, NV area is struggling with hoarding issues, contact ServiceMaster EMT for hoarding cleaning services at (775) 546-2036.