ServiceMaster by Metzler
Millions of Americans are affected both directly and directly by hoarding each year; therefore, the consequences of hoarding can have a drastic effect on the individual and their family. Hoarding is a mental disorder that disallows the individual to part with their personal items. Over time, these belongings will accumulate throughout the home, blocking access to emergency exits. They can also harbor the perfect environment for mold growth.
However, ServiceMaster by Metzler provides professional hoarding cleaning services to remove all unnecessary items as well as sanitize the home in Mt. Prospect, IL. As we understand that this is a stressful time for the affected individual, we take a compassionate approach to the situation, establishing a relationship before starting the cleanup process.
Taking a Compassionate Approach to Hoarding
Hoarding is a delicate situation; the affected individual is suffering from a mental disorder. Often times they are also embarrassed by the mess they have created in their homes; therefore, a close friend or family member must reach out to them and talk about the situation. After discussing the need for hoarding cleaning services, ServiceMaster by Metzler will establish a relationship with the individual upon arrival. We will then put him/her in charge of the cleaning process, not throwing away anything without his/her approval.
As each hoarding case is unique, the hoarded belongings can include a wide variety of items, include: books, newspapers, knick-knacks, antiques, furniture, and even animals. Our technicians handle hoarding cleaning projects of all sizes. After all of the unnecessary items have been removed, we will remove any mold and disinfect all damaged building materials and remaining content. We will also deodorize the property, removing any odors that may still linger from the hoarded items. Ultimately, the highest quality cleaning products and equipment are used to ensure that the home is cleaned and restored to provide a safe living condition once again.
You can expect the following with our hoarding cleaning services:
- Saving of valuable personal items such as money and jewelry.
- Removal of unwanted clutter and hoarded items.
- Assistance with the disposal or recycling of hoarded items that are removed.
- Donation of specific items to a nonprofit of choice.
- Distribution of kept items to family members or friends.
- Assistance with filling out paperwork from government agencies, lawyers, and trusts.
- Deodorization of the property
- Mold remediation
3 Phase Hoarding Cleaning Approach
Some that struggle with hoarding may be overwhelmed by the cleaning process, which is why it is important to approach the situation with compassion and respect. ServiceMaster by Metzler takes a 3-phase approach to hoarding that includes building a personal relationship with the affected individual and earning their trust before entering the home. This approach is divided into the following three phases:
Phase 1: Establishing a Personal Connection
- The details of the cleaning process are discussed with the individual and their family. If needed, we will refer them to a therapist or social service professional.
- A foundation of trust and respect is established with the individual.
Phase 2: Creation of the Cleaning Plan
- A cleaning plan that involves the removal of hoarded items as well as cleaning and sanitizing the home.
- The remaining items are reorganized.
- The items that are removed are thrown away, recycled, or donated; the individual will make the final decision.
- The property will be cleaned, sanitized, deodorized, and remediated of mold and mildew.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- A cleaning plan is created to maintain the condition of the home.
- A phone call is made to review the individual’s progress, providing additional services if needed.
If you have a loved one that struggles with hoarding, it is crucial to reach out to them as their situation can pose negative health and safety risks. These can include the risk of fire, mold, slip-and-trip, and more. ServiceMaster by Metzler is available 24/7 at (847) 380-7888 to provide full hoarding cleaning services in Mt. Prospect, IL.