Millions of people in the U.S. are affected by the consequences of hoarding, including the individuals who are affected as well as their family members. We have come to understand hoarding as a mental disorder rooted in anxiety which is why those affected have a hard time disposing of anything they have collected in their home. Allowing a collection of hoarded items to build in the home creates dangerous conditions that can easily threaten the safety and health of those within. ServiceMaster Professional Services provides hoarding cleaning services in Minneapolis, MN and the surrounding areas to help clean out the homes of hoarders and restore safe and sanitary living conditions. We take an innovative approach to hoarding cleaning projects that involves making a personal connection with the affected individual and making them an important participant in the cleaning process.
We have learned through our experience that in order to effectively clean and restore a home that has been affected by hoarding, the affected individual must be approached with compassion and respect. It is common for those who hoard to feel embarrassed by their situation, but they do not have to feel embarrassed as the symptoms are a manifestation of the underlying anxiety. The main symptom is an inability to throw away anything, resulting in the collection of various objects such as newspapers, food containers, broken items, and animals in severe cases.
Regardless of the condition of the home, the technicians of ServiceMaster Professional Services are fully prepared to remove unwanted items and debris as well as clean and disinfect the home. We use only the best cleaning equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) of the industry and we are bonded, licensed, and insured to handle hoarding cleanup projects under the rules and regulations of OSHA, the EPA, and the Department of Transportation. Our hoarding cleaning approach emphasizes the importance of building a personal connection with the affected individual and involving them in the cleaning process.
Our hoarding cleaning services are divided into the following 3 phases:
- Phase 1: We build a personal connection with the affected individual by establishing mutual feelings of trust and respect.
- Phase 2: We form a cleaning plan with the individual and their family and give the individual the final decision on the fate of the hoarded objects.
- Phase 3: We do a phone call follow up to see if the home is being maintained and if further cleaning is needed, we will return to the home.
The cleaning process of Phase 2 includes these steps:
- Saving of jewelry, money, keepsakes, and other valuable items
- Removal of unwanted items and debris
- Assistance with deciding whether objects should be kept, thrown away, recycled, or donated while leaving the final decision with the individual
- Distribution of kept items to friends and family members
- Help with official paperwork from attorneys and government agencies
- Complete cleaning and disinfection after the unwanted items have been removed
The effects of hoarding can be dangerous for those who hoard and their families. If you know someone in the Minneapolis, MN area that struggles with hoarding issues, reach out to them and call ServiceMaster Professional Services for hoarding cleaning services. You can call us 24 hours a day at (888) 583-5345 to learn more about our hoarding cleaning services.