Fire Damage Related Info
A house fire can be one of the worst types of natural disasters that can happen to your property. Of course, calling 911 should always be the first thing to do after noticing the fire. However, after ensuring that everyone has safely evacuated, it is essential to start the recovery process as soon as possible. Because the soot and smoke leftover from the flames will cause etching and tarnishing to any materials on the property, the damage can become permanent if they are not treated immediately.
ServiceMaster Restore provides fire and smoke damage restoration services in order to safely and effectively restore any size property to its previous condition. Our quick response will also allow us to prevent additional damage caused by the corrosive byproducts.
Dangers of Additional Soot and Smoke Damage
Even after the flames have been extinguished, the damage does not stop here. The byproducts leftover from the fire will continue to linger throughout the home and settle into any affected materials. However, our restoration technicians have years of experience in restoring building materials and personal content.
Emergency Board Ups and Tarping
We can also provide tarping services in order to protect your home from the rain during the restoration process. As we use the best cleaning products and equipment in the industry, we guarantee that your home will be returned to its original condition in no time.
If any of your household belongings or furnishings have been severely damaged by the fire, smoke, or soot, we can also clean and restore them with our pack out services. In this process, ServiceMaster Restore will carefully pack your belongings and transport them to our secure facility where they will be safely cleaned and restored until the cleaning process on your home is complete.
Fire Damage Cleanup
Smoke is often misinterpreted as the least contributor to fire damage; however, it is actually this byproduct that causes the majority of the damage. Even after the fire is out, it is left to destroy the remaining building structure and content. Porous materials, including paint, drywall, and wood are especially at risk as they can soak in the residue when burned and become corrosive. However, when called immediately, our technicians will remove any lingering odors left within the home in addition to removing all traces of soot left within the affected materials.
Fire Damage Repair – What to Do
- Because the soot and other corrosive byproducts will cause etching and tarnishing to the building materials within three days, contact ServiceMaster Restore right away in order to eliminate the spread of the damage.
- If the temperature of the house or building exceeds 60 degrees, provide proper ventilation in order to remove any lingering odors caused by the smoke.
- Clean any materials including chrome, Formica, aluminum, and porcelain as they will incur damage faster than other materials.
- Replace the air filter on the furnace system as soon as possible if it is currently distributing heat.
- Cover returns and supply registers with wet cheesecloth to capture any floating soot in the air.
- Be sure that the electricity is turned off before removing anything from the refrigerator. Also, leave the door open to allow for proper ventilation.
- Throw away any open food containers.
- Take any damaged clothing to the dry cleaners for the most efficient restoration cleaning.
- Do not touch anything without using gloves; the oil from your hands can cause further damage to the affected materials.
- Do not try to wash the walls as you could only be rubbing in the byproducts instead of removing them.
- Do not attempt to restore any damaged carpets or furnishings yourself. Wait until the professionals arrive.
- Do not use any machinery until they have been properly examined by the fire restoration technicians.
- Do not turn on any ceiling fixtures as they could still be wet from the fire hose.
If you experience fire, smoke, or soot damage within your home in Hillsboro, OR do not wait to call ServiceMaster Restore immediately after the flames have been extinguished. This allows us to save the majority of the affected materials while limiting the spread of the damage.
ServiceMaster Restore is available 24/7 at (503)376-6666 for immediate fire damage repair in Hillsboro, OR and the surrounding communities.