Hoarding is a complicated disorder that is still becoming better understood and the more we learn about this disorder, the more we can improve the help available to those effected. The main behaviors associated with hoarding stem from more complex anxiety disorders and include the collection of all types of objects along with an inability to throw anything away. These behaviors can lead to dangerous living conditions inside the home. ServiceMaster First Response provides hoarding cleaning services to help clean and restore homes in Carson City, NV affected by hoarding. Our technicians can safely cleanup all hoarded items and disinfect the home to provide a cleaner and healthier environment.
The most common hoarding behavior is the collection of any objects from newspapers, food containers, and trash, to animals and affected individuals are also incapable of parting with anything they have collected. The collected hoard can lead to several dangerous living conditions including blocked off areas of the home, increased fire risks, and unsanitary conditions as the hoard can harbor mold, bacteria, and other gross filth. People that are affected by hoarding rarely reach out for help because they are too embarrassed by the situation to draw attention to themselves. In most cases, a close friend of family member intervenes and contacts a professional to help clean out the home.
Our technicians at ServiceMaster First Response are well trained and equipped to remove hoarded objects in even the most extreme cases as well as clean and sanitize the home for safer living conditions. You can expect the following from our hoarding cleaning services:
- Saving money, jewelry, and other valuable items
- Disposal of unwanted items
- Help deciding what can be saved, disposed of, recycled, or donated
- Distribution of saved items to friends and family members
- Assistance with paperwork from attorneys, trusts, and government agencies.
ServiceMaster Hoarding Cleaning
A new hoarding approach has recently been created by ServiceMaster Restore in collaboration with Matt Paxton, host of TV’s Hoarders, which focuses on building mutual feelings of trust and respect with the affected individual and making them an important part of the cleaning process. ServiceMaster First Response provides hoarding cleaning services with this new three phase approach:
Phase 1: Building a Personal Connection
- We try to get the best assessment of the situation possible before going into the home.
- We help build feelings of mutual trust and respect with the affected individual.
- We create the cleaning plan with the help of the individual and their family and we may also put the individual in contact with a counseling professional if they could benefit from the additional help.
Phase 2: Creating and Implementing a Cleaning Plan
- We create a cleaning plan to remove the unwanted hoarded items and restore the home.
- Once the hoarded items are removed, we will help reorganize the home.
- We can help make decisions about whether objects should be disposed of, recycled, donated, or kept while leaving the final decision to the individual.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- We create a cleaning plan for the individual to keep their home clean.
- We will follow up to make sure the individual is maintaining their home and we will return to provide additional cleaning services if necessary.
- We make sure the individual maintains an element of control throughout the entire process.
Hoarding can have very serious implications for the health and safety of the affected individual and their family but each case should be approached delicately to earn the individual’s trust. If you have a friend or family member in Carson City, NV with a hoarding issue, call ServiceMaster First Response to help clean and restore the home. You can reach us 24 hours a day at (775) 546-2036 to learn more about our hoarding cleaning services.