Imagine how it feels to hold a highly sentimental item in your hand, such as a precious family photo, and then be told you must throw it away. This is somewhat along the lines of what those struggling with compulsive hoarding feel. The difference is that this kind of anxiety is excessive, even when dealing with useless belongings and trash.
At ServiceMaster by Crossroads, we take this psychological factor into account when providing our hoarding cleanup services to those in Carmel, IN.
Problems with Compulsive Hoarding
Also known as a hoarding disorder, compulsive hoarding is the name of the condition when an individual experiences fear and anxiety in the situations we mentioned above. This can lead to a variety of complications in the home for the affected individual, their family members, and anyone visiting.
Before we get into the dangers of hoarding, it is first important to understand how to combat it. This responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of family members and friends. You must show affected individuals the potential consequences of their actions in a respectful, yet decisive way. This is because those suffering from the hoarding disorder are often too embarrassed to seek help themselves.
We suggest mentioning the following to the individual affected by a hoarding disorder:
- The homes that we restore in Carmel, IN through our hoarding cleanup services often have multiple fire hazards. If a fire were to occur, the damage would be increased dramatically because of the extra fuel on the property.
- The excessive clutter in hallways and rooms can block avenues of escape when you need them most.
- Unsecured items can fall on, or trap, people walking beside them.
- Bacteria and mold can begin to grow in areas that are never cleaned. Likewise, allergens can build up to a severe degree. Both have the potential to cause a multitude of health complications.
Restoring Your Property with Professional Hoarding Cleaning
At ServiceMaster by Crossroads, we implement a time-tested, three phase plan to return your home to livable conditions:
- Phase 1 – Establish Trust and Understanding: This is done so that individuals suffering from hoarding disorder do not take offense to our assistance. We are there to make your Carmel, IN home safe, not needlessly throw away precious belongings.
- Phase 2 – Sanitize the Home: We will work with affected individuals to throw away, donate, recycle, or keep certain items. Once this is done, we will clean and repair affected areas.
- Phase 3 – Improve Your Condition: We leave behind a cleaning plan for hoarders to follow so that they can learn to manage their condition. We will check in periodically on their progress.
Call Us for a Free Estimate
All of our technicians are thoroughly versed in this approach to hoarding cleanup, which is why ServiceMaster is among the most trusted names in the industry. To make use of our services, we encourage you to call our ServiceMaster by Crossroads representatives at (317) 215-5199. We are proud to work with affected individuals in the Carmel, IN, community