ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete
Hoarding has become a much more prominent issue in the U.S., but there are still many who do not fully understand the conditions. Hoarding is classified as a mental disorder because those affected are constantly battling an overwhelming anxiety to part with their belongings. This anxiety causes hoarders to feel uncomfortable about throwing away anything, so they allow a dangerous amount of clutter to build up in their home. Reaching out to a hoarder to clean their home is complicated by this anxiety, which is why it takes a thought-out and compassionate approach. ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete provides hoarding cleaning services in Brooklyn, NY to help reach out to hoarders and return their homes to safe living conditions. Our technicians are prepared to deal with all levels of hoarding and we reach out to the affected individual to build a personal connection based on trust and respect.
The Dangers of Hoarding
The reason hoarding is so dangerous for the affected individual and their families is because the excessive buildup of hoarded objects can threaten their health and safety. Hoarders keep all kinds of objects in their homes from small decorative items and knickknacks to large appliances and furniture. People who struggle with hoarding have also been known to collect newspapers, food containers, and other objects. The clutter will eventually pile high and increase the risk of fires and injuries caused by tripping or falling objects. Excessive clutter also makes it much more difficult to escape the home in the event of an emergency. Finally, it can harbor mold, bacteria, and other harmful substances that lead to health issues.
People who hoard do not reach out for help on their own and need intervention from a close friend or family member. It is very important to help the hoarder understand that you are coming from a place of compassion and that the living conditions they have created are a direct threat to their health and safety. The technicians of ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete will help restore the homes of hoarders to safe living conditions by clearing out unwanted objects and cleaning the home with our advanced cleaning products and disinfectants. We also build a personal connection with the affected individual based on trust and respect and make sure they are a central participant in the process.
Our complete hoarding cleaning services include the following:
- Important personal items and valuables are saved
- Unwanted hoarded items are cleared from the home
- We will help donate, recycle, or throw away unwanted items
- Certain kept items will be distributed to friends and family members
- Paperwork from trusts, lawyers, and government agencies will be completed with our assistance
3 Phase Hoarding Cleaning Approach
Cleaning out a hoarder’s home is a very stressful experience for the affected individual. We help ease their stress by building a personal relationship and earning their trust and respect before the cleaning starts. Once we have established a personal connection, we will discuss how we can improve the condition of the home with the individual and keep them involved through every step. We separate this approach into three phases:
Phase 1: Establishing a Personal Connection
- We will determine the extent of the problem before walking into the home.
- Our technicians build a personal relationship with the hoarder based on trust and respect. If extra help is necessary, we will consult a counseling professional.
- We will move to the next step at the willingness of the affected individual.
Phase 2: Creating a Cleaning Plan
- We discuss cleaning options with the affected individual and their family and create a cleaning plan based on this discussion.
- Unwanted hoarded objects are removed from the home and we will help the individual reorganize what is left.
- The affected individual makes the decision of whether to keep or dispose of each object.
Phase 3: Follow Up
- After the home is cleaned, we leave the individual with a cleaning plan to help them maintain the good condition of their home.
- We will follow up with the individual over the phone to check their progress on the cleaning plan. Our technicians will return to provide cleaning if the home has become cluttered again.
Approaching a hoarder can be difficult; however, it is necessary to improve the living conditions in their home. You must treat the hoarder with a sense of respect and compassion and help them understand why they must work on restoring safe and sanitary living conditions. Our technicians at ServiceMaster Restoration by Complete with help you reach out to a hoarder in Brooklyn, NY and clear their home of excessive clutter. Call us at (347)380-8388 for professional hoarding cleaning services.