What is Pink Mold and How to Remove It
Mold is a natural substance that is always present in both indoor and outdoor environments. Yet, discovering mold growing in your home or property is still a major concern that must be taken seriously. This fungus can cause serious damage to your property and pose a severe health threat to anyone exposed.
Because mold thrives in moist environments, bathrooms and kitchens are areas that are especially vulnerable to mold growth. There are, however, many different types of mold that can appear in your home. One type you may encounter in the bathroom especially is pink mold.
Each mold species has its own characteristics and cannot be effectively treated in the same manner. If you try to clean mold using an improper method, it may become worse. Knowing this, it is important to know how to identify pink mold and understand the best ways to remove it.
What is Pink Mold?
Pink mold is a common name for the water-borne bacteria Serratia marcescens. This mold type can be pink in color — hence the name — but this is not always the case. Sometimes, pink mold can look more orange than pink. This is because room temperatures can cause the mold to develop a red pigment.
In addition to its color, pink mold often has a fuzzy or slimy texture. Usually, it will be found growing in between bathroom tiles and on shower curtains.
What Causes Pink Mold to Grow?
When you have mold growing in your home, it is important to understand how it developed. This can help you figure out how to effectively remove it and prevent it from reappearing in the future.
As aforementioned, mold is naturally present in the environment. Mold spores can always be found in the air, but they become problematic when they start growing into colonies. This happens when mold spores find a food source and a moisture source. Once the spores have both, mold growth appears.
As the mold colonies grow, the mold eats away at the surfaces and materials it is growing on, causing severe damage in the process. Knowing this, you can prevent mold from growing by controlling the moisture levels in your property.
How is Pink Mold Hazardous?
Not all species of mold are dangerous, but the ones found growing indoors typically are hazardous for your health. Pink mold is one kind of mold that can be harmful — though not as bad as the commonly found black mold. Regardless, pink mold can cause a myriad of health concerns for anyone who is exposed to it. This is especially the case for kids, seniors, and people with compromised immune systems. Pets can also be at risk of being harmed by mold.
One potential health issue that pink mold can cause is breathing problems. However, there are numerous other concerns that are also serious, including:
- Blood poisoning
- Bladder infections
- Bone infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Infection of open sores and wounds
How Can I Remove Pink Mold?
If you find pink mold growing indoors, then you need to act promptly to prevent the damage from worsening. However, because of the dangers it presents, you also need to properly protect yourself from the mold. That said, wear a mask, goggles, and gloves. The mold should never come into direct contact with your skin, so wear long clothing as well.
One you have the proper protective gear, you can move on to the mold removal. Create a paste made of 4 parts baking soda and 1-part dish soap. Scrub this paste onto the affected area and then rinse it off. Proceed by creating a combination made of equal parts water and bleach. If you do not have bleach, you can use vinegar in its place. However, never mix bleach and vinegar because it produces toxic fumes.
Spray this solution on the moldy section, allowing it to sit for 10 minutes. Scrub the area once again before doing a final rinsing.
If the shower curtain was affected by mold, you can wash it in a laundry machine on the delicate setting. Throw it in the wash with some towels, and wash using warm water, 1/2 cup of detergent, and 1/2 cup of baking soda on top of the load. Take it outside or to another well-ventilated area to dry. Do not place it in the dryer.
Professional Mold Remediation
Because mold can be hazardous to your health, it is not always good to clean and remove mold on your own. Sometimes, the job is simply too large for you to handle safely and effectively. Regardless of your specific situation, professional help is always a good idea when it comes to mold removal and cleaning.
When you get help with professional mold remediation services, certified, well-trained technicians will arrive at your property to remove mold in an efficient manner. Professionals contain the mold to prevent it from spreading to new areas. Then, they conduct mold removal and make repairs on affected surfaces.
With help from mold remediation professionals, you can feel at ease knowing your property will be restored to a clean, safe environment once again.