Mold growing within the home can be a nightmare. It will not only deteriorate the walls and floors but can also cause respiratory issues for you and your family. If someone has an allergic reaction, whether in the eyes, nose, or throat, the problem must be solved immediately.
In severe situations, a respiratory infection such as asthma or a lung infection can be developed due to over-exposure to the mold. However, if it hasn’t spread too far within the home or building, there are remedies in order to clean it yourself. Here, you can learn more about what items within the home can be used to effectively remove mold.
Using Bleach to Clean Mold
It is a common misconception that bleach will kill mold. In truth, it will only scratch the surface, not the center underneath the discolored fuzz. This is the source of the problem.
Using bleach to treat mold will only cause it to grow, even spreading its spores throughout the home to affect other areas. The chemicals contained within bleach are not strong enough to penetrate household surfaces including wood and drywall. In other words, the source of the mold will only retreat further into its host (your home) to protect itself against the chemical. When it comes into contact with the bleach, it is smart enough to recognize it as a threat and rapidly disperse spores to grow. Finally, it is proven that using bleach will only add to the problem.
In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not suggest using this chemical to eliminate mold for this purpose. However, when supervised by a professional mold removal technician, they will make the recommendation under special conditions.
Using Vinegar to Clean Mold
Although bleach is not effective in killing mold, there is another option that will surely produce better results. Vinegar may not have many uses, but it is definitely effective when treating mold growth within the home. While white vinegar is a mild acid known to kill about 80% of all types of mold, it can also secure the area to prevent future cases of mold.
The following steps can be taken to effectively eliminate small mold outbreaks within the home:
- Be sure to wear protective clothing and gear (goggles, gloves, and a mask) to ensure your protection throughout the cleaning process.
- Pour white, distilled vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray the vinegar directly on the mold surface, allowing it to sit for 2 hours to allow the vinegar to be absorbed within the spores.
- Finally, if scrubbing is necessary, be sure to use baking soda in this process. Combine 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake accordingly until mixed thoroughly.
- Spray the combined solution directly onto the mold and vinegar surface. Scrub with force with a scrub brush and scouring pad. But be sure to have your protection gear in place as this is where it is most important!
- Rinse the affected area with warm, clean water.
- Spray the affected area again with vinegar to allow the chemical to dry and kill any remaining mold spores. Although it may smell for a few hours, it will eventually dissipate and the area will be clear again.
Calling a Professional
Sometimes, no matter how hard you scrub or how often you clean this area, the mold still returns. Or perhaps the mold has spread too far that using home remedies is simply too dangerous. This is when it is time to call a professional mold removal company. The mold remediation technicians at ServiceMaster are available 24/7 to effectively clean and restore any size mold case within your home or building. Locate your nearest restoration provider to ensure the safety not only for your home, but the health of you and your family.