Save Money on your Heating Bill This Winter
With the temperatures rising and falling drastically each week, your furnace takes a beating trying to keep a level temperature. Your heating bill will generally show this work by reaching hundreds of dollars each month. There are certain things that can help you save some money in the colder months.
- The first thing to remember is to check your furnace. Yearly maintenance is very important for any appliance, especially one that is running for months on end. This maintenance includes cleaning and filter changes. Cleaning your air filters will allow your furnace to run easier as well as keep your air clean circulating throughout your home.
- Air filtration systems need to be cleaned as well. This large job can be handled by most restoration companies. It requires trained professionals with expert equipment.
- Figure out which rooms are not used as much. Closing vents in rooms less used will save you some dollars and keep your furnace from running constantly.
- Ceiling fans can be reversed. There is generally a small switch on top of the fan that reverses the direction which pulls warm air down from the ceiling. Reverse it back in the summers.
- Check to see if you can set your thermostat for days and times. You can set it 5 degrees lower while you are gone for longer periods of time, such as work. Don’t lower your thermostat when running short errands since it takes more energy to raise the temperature back.
- Layer! Sweaters and blankets come in handy in cold weather of course. By lowering your thermostat by 2 degrees you’ll stay just as warm and save money on your heating bill.
- We generally would not recommend space heaters since they pull so much energy. Because of this, your heating bill may decrease but your energy bill will sky rocket.
- Check you windows! If you have older windows, purchase plastic sealing to cover them and keep out drafts. Remember to remove air conditioning units since they are not air tight.
- At night draw curtains and shades to prevent drafts. During the day, use the sun as a natural heater. You would be surprised how much heat can be produced during the day.
These are just a couple ideas on how to lower your heating bill this winter. Everyone needs to save a couple dollars, these simple tips can achieve that.
If you need a restoration company to clean your air filtration system, don’t hesitate to call a local restoration company.