When it comes to preventing mold growth within a home, the basement is one of the most vulnerable areas that requires plenty of attention. Basements are typically wet with high moisture levels due to cracks or spaces in the foundation that allow moisture and water to seep in. The darkness and moisture of the basement provide the perfect environment for mold to grow and if this growth is not addressed, it could spread and create a health hazard. The following tips will help you control the moisture level in the basement and prevent mold growth.
- Making sure that your basement is properly ventilated is an important step for preventing mold growth. If your basement needs more ventilation, keep the doors and windows open and if that is not enough, run fans for part of the day.
- Remove all wet items from your basement because they will add to the moisture level. This includes removing damp books, wet clothes, and any other wet items that could contribute to mold growth.
- Check the dryer vent to make sure that it is properly venting outside the house. If the dryer vent is clogged then the dryer exhaust will not vent and increase the humidity level of the basement. To make sure the dryer vent is working, check the vent from the outside as the dryer is running.
- Insulating the pipes and windows in the basement will help prevent condensation from building up in the cold months. Fiberglass insulation and pipe sleeves are effective for reducing condensation.
- Put a dehumidifier in your basement to keep humidity levels low by removing the moisture from the air. The dehumidifier should run when the humidity level in the basement exceeds 60%.
- Keep your gutters and drainage pipes clear of any debris so that rainwater is directed away from the walls and foundation of your home.
The basement is the most vulnerable area in the home to high moisture levels which create the ideal environment for mold to thrive. By following these tips, you can help prevent mold from growing in your basement by reducing the moisture level. However, if you discover significant mold growth in your home, it is best to call a mold remediation professional to address the problem such as ServiceMaster of Northfield MN.