Eco-Friendly Ways to Control Mold Growth
Mold growth is a constant threat to overtake a home that has high humidity levels or moisture leaks and many of the household mold cleaners available include toxic chemicals. Some homeowners may be uncomfortable using harsh cleaners with toxic chemicals to clean up mold as these cleaners have several potential health risks and can also cause harm to the environment. However, there are some methods of mold control that do not involve harmful chemicals and if the mold problem in your home is severe, it is best to call a mold remediation professional such as ServiceMaster Salt Lake Utah.
The main way to control mold growth without the use of toxic chemicals is to prevent it from growing in your home. Taking preventative action is much easier than cleaning mold growth and it can be done in many safe and eco-friendly ways. The following are the most effective preventative actions to take against mold growth:
- Make sure to quickly clean up any water spills or leaks.
- Inspect pipes and water fixtures such as washing machines, sinks, and toilets for leaks and repair them quickly.
- Fix leaks in the roof.
- Crack a window or use the exhaust fan in the bathroom when showering and in the kitchen when cooking.
- Do not put carpet in the bathrooms.
- Use mold resistant paint in high moisture areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
- Put a dehumidifier in areas that have high relative humidity.
- Have your home inspected for mold after significant flooding or water damage or if you notice a strong musty smell.
- Make sure to act as soon as mold growth is discovered.
While taking these preventative actions can be very effective in controlling mold growth, it is still possible for mold to occur in even the most well maintained homes. Mold can be removed from certain surfaces such as glass, metal, and tile but other materials such as drywall, carpet, mattresses, and cushions may need to be replaced. Replacing these items with new materials is another eco-friendly way of removing mold growth because you do not have to clean them using harsh chemicals. The last eco-friendly method of mold removal is the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products that can be found in stores or online.
Homeowners who are concerned about the toxic chemicals used in most mold cleaners can employ more eco-friendly measures to control mold such as prevention, replacement of affected materials, or the use of more environmentally friendly cleaning products. However, if the mold growth becomes severe or is found throughout the house, then it is best to call for professional mold remediation services. Mold removal professionals often provide free consultations in which they will create a plan to remove mold safely and effectively. Contact a mold remediation expert near you for more information on eco-friendly mold removal techniques. If you are near the Salt Lake, Utah area, contact ServiceMaster for professional mold remediation Salt Lake Utah.