Find a Local Service Provider

Find a Restoration Company
Get Free Cleaning or Restoration Quote

Ask Restoration Master

If you have any questions, ask Restoration Master for advice.


If you provide an Email you will receive a message, once your Question is Answered.

Can I re-use the water from my dehumidifier in my musty basement to water my flower gardens without giving them mildew?

2. September 2019

The answer to this question is not so cut and dry.  Experts in the HVAC industry do not recommend that you reuse water from your dehumidifier to water your plants.  However, it will likely be OK for established, non-edible plants like the flowers in your garden.

The thing to remember with water from your dehumidifier is that it is considered gray water.  Water is categorized as clean water, gray water, or black water depending on how clean or contaminated it is.  The reason water from the dehumidifier is considered gray water is because it may contain microorganisms from the mildew in the air of your basement as well as metals like copper and aluminum and other airborne debris.  These materials can build up in the bucket that collects the water and continue to contaminate the water collected.

Because of this, you and your pets should not consume the water and you should not water edible plants with it.  However, the contaminants in dehumidifier water aren’t much worse than what some outside plants have to endure.  There are a couple things you should remember if you use water from the dehumidifier to water your flowers.  First, keep the bucket in your dehumidifier as clean as possible to reduce the buildup of metals and microorganisms.  And second, test the pH level of the water before you use it on your flowers.  If the pH is above 7, it may be bad for your plants.

So to summarize, you should be safe watering your flowers with water from your dehumidifier as long as the flowers are well established, you keep the bucket clean, and you test the pH level to make sure it is not too high.

in my attic crawl space some of the insulation is discolored grey and black … what are your thoughts?

23. July 2019

The discolored insulation in your crawl space can be caused by one of two things; dirt or mold.  If the insulation is wet, there is a good chance the discoloration could be caused by mold.  Check to see if the insulation is wet but avoid touching the insulation in case it is affected by mold.  Making direct contact with the mold will cause it to disperse its spores, putting your health at risk.  When in doubt, it is best to call a mold remediation professional to inspect the insulation and determine for sure if it is affected by mold.

Insulation is susceptible to mold growth because it contains cellulose which is a favorite food source of mold.  If the insulation becomes wet, which is very likely in an attic crawlspace, the risk of mold growth increases.  There is a possibility that the discoloration could be caused by dirt, but it is best to call a professional to find out for sure.  If your insulation is affected by mold and the situation is not addressed properly, the mold will continue to grow and spread, causing additional damage to the area and increasing the risk of structural damage and negative health effects.

Do you remodel showers and get rid of mold if found

23. July 2019

Many of the businesses that are included on RestorationMaster Finder are mold remediation specialists, not bathroom remodelers.  You must call a remodeling professional if you want to have your bathroom or shower remodeled.  However, if the remodelers find mold when remodeling your shower, you will likely need the assistance of a mold remediation professional.

Home remodelers are builders that possess the training and licensing to build and remodel homes.  Mold remediation professionals are trained and licensed to find and remove mold growth using industry standard equipment and methods.  It is highly unlikely that a home remodeler will also be licensed and equipped to safely and effectively remove mold growth.

When talking to a professional remodeler about working on your bathroom, ask them what they would do if they discover mold growth in your bathroom while working.  Mold is a serious issue because it can cause significant damage and it is dangerous for your health.  If a remodeler finds mold in your bathroom, it is best to work with a mold remediation professional to ensure that they can remove the mold effectively for your safety.

We have a strong mold smell in our bathroom. No mold is visible.

23. July 2019

Bathrooms are a favorite location for mold to grow because the consistent moisture level provides mold spores with ideal growing conditions.  Mold can appear in so many places within a bathroom including on shower curtains and liners, in bathtubs, on shower heads and faucets, underneath the sink, near the base of the toilet, in grout lines, and behind walls near the pipes.  Make sure you thoroughly check these areas to see if you can find the mold.  If not, you should call a mold remediation professional to inspect your bathroom for mold.

A strong mold smell is an indication of hidden mold.  It is possible for mold to form in hidden areas of your bathroom such as behind the walls.  The pipes coming off the plumbing fixtures may leak or condensate within the walls and this excess moisture can cause mold to grow.  A mold remediation professional will be able to thoroughly check your bathroom, including the hidden areas, to locate the mold as well as the problem that caused the mold growth.  It is important to call a professional as soon as possible because the mold will continue to grow and spread, increasing the damage as well as the risk to your health.

A friend was flooded yesterday in Durham, Kansas He has very old books that got soaked. I’ve had them put the books in a freezer so they won’t mold. They are very old . What is the next step for them? Right now they are scooping mud do books are “on hold”!

23. July 2019

Putting wet books in the freezer is an effective way to prevent them from becoming moldy.  Freezing temperatures will prevent or deactivate mold growth.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind when putting wet books in the freezer, however.  The first thing to keep in mind is that this works best if the books were affected by clean water.  You should never try to separate the pages of a wet book or even open it before putting it in the freezer.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the temperature of the freezer should be set to the lowest setting or ice crystals may form on the books, causing additional damage.  The last thing to remember is that even if you do this process correctly, the affected pages will likely never be flat again, but they will be legible.

After putting the books in the freezer, the next step should be to call a water damage restoration professional and ask about their treatment for wet books.  Many water damage professionals use a restorative drying process to ensure that water damaged books are dried and restored as close to their original condition as possible.

Page 4 of 11 ; 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11